Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 36 > Article 1
- actual savings: includes stipulated savings. See Indiana Code 36-1-12.5-0.5
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- agency: means a state or local law enforcement agency. See Indiana Code 5-2-13-1
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annual percentage rate: The cost of credit at a yearly rate. It is calculated in a standard way, taking the average compound interest rate over the term of the loan so borrowers can compare loans. Lenders are required by law to disclose a card account's APR. Source: FDIC
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- applicant: means a contractor or the subcontractor who seeks to do business with an entity. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-3
- application: means the act of filing a statement with an entity to request qualification to perform work. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-4
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- award: means the acceptance by an entity of a bid and authorization by an entity to enter into a contract with the bidder. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-5
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- bidder: means an individual, a partnership, a firm, a limited liability company, a corporation, or other person submitting a bid for advertised work. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-7
- builder: means a person engaged in constructing new homes. See Indiana Code 36-1-22-1
- certificate of qualification: means the official document that qualifies a contractor to bid on contracts of an entity that require prequalification under this chapter. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-8
- Clerk: means the clerk of the court or a person authorized to perform the clerk's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- commission: refers to a county school safety commission established under section 10 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-10.1-0.3
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- conflict of interest: means a direct or indirect financial interest in the issuance of a permit. See Indiana Code 36-1-27-1
- contract: means the written agreement between an entity and a contractor setting forth the obligations of the parties. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-9
- contractor: means an individual, a partnership, a firm, a limited liability company, a corporation, or other person contracting with or desiring to contract with an entity for performance of prescribed work. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-10
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- covered person: means :
Indiana Code 36-1-8.5-2
- crime: has the meaning set forth in IC 33-23-1-4. See Indiana Code 36-1-26-1
- criminal action: means a prosecution against an individual alleging the commission of a felony or misdemeanor. See Indiana Code 36-1-17-1
- criminal history information: has the meaning set forth in IC 5-2-4-1. See Indiana Code 36-1-26-2
- criminal justice services and activities: means programs that assist:
Indiana Code 5-2-11-0.5
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- EEDMA program: refers to the enhanced enforcement drug mitigation area pilot program established by section 3 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-11.5-1
- elected official: means :
Indiana Code 36-1-21-2
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- eligible municipality: means a municipality that:
Indiana Code 36-1-1.5-2
- employed: means an individual who is employed by a unit on a full-time, part-time, temporary, intermittent, or hourly basis. See Indiana Code 36-1-20.2-5
- employee: refers to an employee of a political subdivision. See Indiana Code 36-1-13-1
- employee of the department of child services: means an individual who is or was employed as any of the following by the department of child services established by IC 31-25-1-1:
Indiana Code 36-1-8.5-2.5
- entity: means the following:
Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-11
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- fund: refers to the state drug free communities fund established by this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-10-1
- fund: refers to the Indiana safe schools fund established by this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-10.1-1
- fund: refers to a county drug free community fund established by this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-11-1
- fund: refers to the law enforcement assistance fund established by section 4 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-13-2
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- governing body: means the following:
Indiana Code 36-1-12.5-1.5
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- guaranteed savings contract: refers to a contract entered into under this chapter, in which a qualified provider enters into an agreement with the governing body to:
Indiana Code 36-1-12.5-2
- Highway: includes county bridges and state and county roads, unless otherwise expressly provided. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- industry engineering standards: includes the following:
Indiana Code 36-1-12.5-2.5
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- institute: refers to the Indiana criminal justice institute established under IC 5-2-6. See Indiana Code 5-2-10.1-1.5
- institute: refers to the Indiana criminal justice institute established by IC 5-2-6-3. See Indiana Code 5-2-11.5-2
- intervention: means :
Indiana Code 5-2-11-1.3
- Joint meeting: An occasion, often ceremonial, when the House and Senate each adopt a unanimous consent agreement
- judge: means an individual who holds or formerly held office as:
Indiana Code 36-1-8.5-3
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- law enforcement officer: means an individual who is employed or was formerly employed as:
Indiana Code 36-1-8.5-4
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Leasing agent: means the board or officer of a political subdivision or agency with the power to lease structures. See Indiana Code 36-1-10-2
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- license: means any license, registration, certification, permit, or endorsement required by a unit for an individual to practice an occupation or profession in an area over which the unit has jurisdiction. See Indiana Code 36-1-26-3
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- local coordinating council: means a countywide citizen body approved and appointed by the Indiana commission to combat drug abuse established by IC 4-3-25-3 to plan, monitor, and evaluate comprehensive local alcohol and drug abuse plans. See Indiana Code 5-2-11-1.6
- minor: means a person less than eighteen (18) years of age. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Oath: includes "affirmation" and "to swear" includes to "affirm". See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- officer: means a state or local law enforcement officer. See Indiana Code 5-2-13-3
- owner: means a person that has an interest in title or a present possessory interest in property that is offered to the public as a short term rental. See Indiana Code 36-1-24-2
- Parking facility: refers to a parking facility as defined in IC 36-9-1. See Indiana Code 36-1-10-2
- parking facility: refers to a parking facility as defined in IC 36-9-1. See Indiana Code 36-1-10.5-2
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- permit: means a short term rental permit issued by a unit. See Indiana Code 36-1-24-4
- permit: has the meaning set forth in IC 36-7-4-1109(b). See Indiana Code 36-1-27-2
- permitted property: means a property that is subject to a valid, unexpired, unrevoked permit under this chapter. See Indiana Code 36-1-24-5
- person: means an individual, firm, limited liability company, corporation, association, or other legal entity. See Indiana Code 36-1-22-2
- Personal property: includes goods, chattels, evidences of debt, and things in action. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Population: has the meaning set forth in IC 1-1-3. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- prequalification administrator: means the administrative officer of an entity who is responsible for the administration of the qualification of contractors under this chapter. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-14
- prevention: means the anticipatory process that prepares and supports an individual and programs with the creation and reinforcement of healthy behaviors and lifestyles. See Indiana Code 5-2-11-1.8
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- program: refers to a cost saving incentive program established by a political subdivision under this chapter. See Indiana Code 36-1-13-2
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- proposal: means an offer of a bidder, on a prescribed form, to perform the work and to furnish the labor and materials at the prices quoted. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-15
- public official: means an individual who holds or formerly held office at any time during the preceding four (4) years in the executive or legislative branch of the state or federal government or a political subdivision of the state or federal government. See Indiana Code 36-1-8.5-4.5
- public property data base web site: means an Internet web site that:
Indiana Code 36-1-8.5-5
- public work: means the construction, reconstruction, alteration, or renovation of a public building, airport facility, or other structure that is paid for out of a public fund or out of a special assessment. See Indiana Code 36-1-12-2
- purchasing agent: means the board or officer of a political subdivision or agency with the power to purchase land or structures. See Indiana Code 36-1-10.5-3
- qualified provider: means the following:
Indiana Code 36-1-12.5-3
- real property: include lands, tenements, and hereditaments. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- related capital expenditures: includes capital costs that:
Indiana Code 36-1-12.5-3.5
- relative: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 36-1-20.2-8
- relative: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 36-1-21-3
- remodeler: means a person engaged in altering, repairing, restoring, maintaining, or modifying an existing residential dwelling. See Indiana Code 36-1-22-3
- rental registration or inspection program: means a program authorizing the registration or inspection of only rental housing. See Indiana Code 36-1-20-1.2
- rental unit community: means one (1) or more parcels of contiguous real property upon which are located one (1) or more structures containing rental units, if:
Indiana Code 36-1-20-1.5
- residential dwelling: means a building or part of a building occupied by or intended for the occupancy of one (1) or more individuals. See Indiana Code 36-1-22-4
- revenues: include only revenues of a municipal water or wastewater utility operated by a political subdivision. See Indiana Code 36-1-12.5-0.6
- safety plan: refers to any school safety plan required by the Indiana state board of education. See Indiana Code 5-2-10.1-1.7
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Sheriff: means the sheriff of the county or another person authorized to perform sheriff's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- short term rental: means the rental of:
Indiana Code 36-1-24-6
- sister: include a brother or sister by the half blood. See Indiana Code 36-1-20.2-8
- sister: include a brother or sister by the half blood. See Indiana Code 36-1-21-3
- state address confidentiality form: means the form prescribed by the department of local government finance under IC 6-1. See Indiana Code 36-1-8.5-5.5
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Structure: means :
Indiana Code 36-1-10-2
- structure: means :
Indiana Code 36-1-10.5-4
- subcontractor: means an individual, a partnership, a firm, a limited liability company, a corporation, or other person to whom a contractor sublets part of a contract. See Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-16
- surety: means a corporate body bound with and for the contractor for the following:
Indiana Code 36-1-9.5-17
- System: means :
Indiana Code 36-1-10-2
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- township assistance property tax rate: has the meaning set forth in IC 6-1. See Indiana Code 36-1-1.5-3
- transferor township: means a township described in section 2(1) of this chapter. See Indiana Code 36-1-1.5-4
- Transportation project: means a road or highway project jointly undertaken by the Indiana department of transportation and any county through which a toll road project under IC 8-15-2 passes. See Indiana Code 36-1-10-2
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- utility efficiency program: refers to an energy, a water, or a wastewater efficiency program that:
Indiana Code 36-1-12.5-4
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Verified: when applied to pleadings, means supported by oath or affirmation in writing. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- veteran: includes "Hoosier veteran" and applies to the construction of all Indiana statutes, unless the construction is expressly excluded by the terms of the statute, is plainly repugnant to the intent of the general assembly or of the context of the statute, or is inconsistent with federal law. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- victim of domestic violence: means a victim of domestic violence who is certified as a program participant in the address confidentiality program established by the attorney general under IC 5-26. See Indiana Code 36-1-8.5-6
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5