Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 9 > Article 26 - Accidents and Accident Reports
- accident response service fee: means a fee imposed for any of the following:
Indiana Code 9-26-9-1
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- local law enforcement agency: means a political subdivision's department or agency whose principal function is the apprehension of criminal offenders. See Indiana Code 9-26-9-2
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Sheriff: means the sheriff of the county or another person authorized to perform sheriff's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.