Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 28 > Chapter 3 > Article 4
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Alcohol: means any substance containing any form of alcohol, including ethanol, methanol, propynol and isopropynol. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Commercial motor vehicle: means a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles that is designed, used or maintained to transport passengers or property in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise, that is a commercial motor vehicle as defined in section 28-5201 and that is not exempt from gross weight fees as prescribed in section 28-5432, subsection B. See Arizona Laws 28-601
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Conviction: means :
(a) An unvacated adjudication of guilt or a determination that a person violated or failed to comply with the law in a court of original jurisdiction or by an authorized administrative tribunal. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the department of transportation acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Drive: means to operate or be in actual physical control of a motor vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Driver: means a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Driver license: means a license that is issued by a state to an individual and that authorizes the individual to drive a motor vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Evidence: includes both of the following:
(a) A display on a wireless communication device of a department-generated driver license, nonoperating identification license, vehicle registration card or other official record of the department that is presented to a law enforcement officer or in a court or an administrative proceeding. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- highway: means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way if a part of the way is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- License: means any license, temporary instruction permit or temporary license issued under the laws of this state or any other state that pertain to the licensing of persons to operate motor vehicles. See Arizona Laws 28-601
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Nonresident: means a person who is not a resident of this state as defined in section 28-2001. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Operator: means a person who drives a motor vehicle on a highway, who is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle on a highway or who is exercising control over or steering a vehicle being towed by a motor vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Owner: means :
(a) A person who holds the legal title of a vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidences of debt. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Police officer: means an officer authorized to direct or regulate traffic or make arrests for violations of traffic rules or other offenses. See Arizona Laws 28-601
- Population: means the population according to the most recent United States decennial census. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Roadway: means that portion of a highway that is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the berm or shoulder. See Arizona Laws 28-601
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- State: means a state of the United States and the District of Columbia. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- State highway: means a state route or portion of a state route that is accepted and designated by the board as a state highway and that is maintained by the state. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Traffic: means pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles and other conveyances either singly or together while using a highway for purposes of travel. See Arizona Laws 28-601
- Writing: includes printing. See Arizona Laws 1-215