For the purposes of this chapter:
1. “Association” means the association of Iowa fairs.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 174.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. “Fair” means an organization which is incorporated under the laws of this state, including as a county or district fair or as an agricultural society, for the purpose of conducting a fair event, if all of the following apply:
a. The organization owns or leases at least ten acres of fairgrounds. An organization may meet the requirement of owning or leasing land, buildings, and improvements through ownership by a joint entity under chapter 28E.
b. The organization owns buildings and other improvements situated on the fairgrounds which have been specially constructed for purposes of conducting a fair event.
c. The market value of the fairgrounds and buildings and other improvements located on the fairgrounds is at least twenty-five thousand dollars.
3. “Fair event” means an annual gathering of the public on fairgrounds that incorporates agricultural exhibits, demonstrations, shows, or competitions that include programs or projects sponsored by 4-H clubs, future farmers of America, or the Iowa cooperative extension service in agriculture and home economics of Iowa state university. Other activities may include any of the following:
a. Commercial exhibits sponsored by manufacturers or other businesses.
b. Educational programs or exhibits sponsored by governmental entities or nonprofit organizations.
c. Competition in culinary arts, fine arts, or home craft arts.
4. “Fairgrounds” or “grounds” means the real estate, including land, buildings, and improvements where a fair event is conducted.
5. “Management” shall mean president, vice-president, secretary, or treasurer of a fair.
6. “State aid” means moneys appropriated by the treasurer of state to the association of Iowa fairs for payments to eligible fairs pursuant to this chapter.