1. An emancipation order shall have the same effect as a minor reaching the age of majority with respect to but not limited to the following:
a. The ability to sue or be sued in the minor’s own name.
b. The right to enter into a binding contract.
c. The right to establish a legal residence.
d. The right to incur debts.
e. The right to consent to medical, dental, or psychiatric care.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 232C.4
- Child: includes child by adoption. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- property: includes personal and real property. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. An emancipation order shall have the same effect as the minor reaching the age of majority and the parents are exempt from the following:
a. Future child support obligations for the emancipated minor.
b. An obligation to provide medical support for the emancipated minor, unless deemed necessary by the court.
c. A right to the income or property of the emancipated minor.
d. A responsibility for the debts of the emancipated minor.
3. An emancipated minor shall remain subject to voting restrictions under chapter 48A, gambling restrictions under chapter 99B, 99D, 99F, 99G, or725, alcohol restrictions under chapter 123, compulsory attendance requirements under chapter 299, and cigarette tobacco restrictions under chapter 453A.
4. An emancipated minor shall not be considered an adult for prosecution except as provided in section 232.8.
5. Notwithstanding sections 232.147 through 232.151, the emancipation order shall be released by the juvenile court subject to rules prescribed by the supreme court.
6. A parent who is absolved of child support obligations pursuant to an emancipation order shall notify the child support recovery unit of the department of human services of the emancipation.