1. A vehicle recycler licensed under this chapter and subject to the requirements of 28 C.F.R. §25.56 shall register with the national motor vehicle title information system.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 321H.4A
- Department: means the state department of transportation. See Iowa Code 321H.2
- National motor vehicle title information system: means the federally mandated motor vehicle title history database established pursuant to 49 U. See Iowa Code 321H.2
- Vehicle: means any vehicle as defined in chapter 321. See Iowa Code 321H.2
- Vehicle subject to registration: means any vehicle that is of a type required to be registered under chapter 321 when operated on a public highway, including but not limited to a vehicle that is inoperable, salvage, or rebuilt. See Iowa Code 321H.2
2. a. Except as provided in paragraph “b”, for any vehicle subject to registration under chapter 321 purchased by a vehicle recycler licensed under this chapter and subject to the requirements of 28 C.F.R. §25.56, the vehicle recycler shall comply with the reporting requirements of 28 C.F.R. §25.56 within two business days of purchasing the vehicle. Records of the vehicle recycler’s compliance shall be kept by the vehicle recycler for at least three years after the purchase of the vehicle, and shall be open for inspection by any peace officer during normal business hours. The department shall adopt rules to implement this section, including but not limited to rules requiring the submission and retention of records not required by 28 C.F.R. §25.56.
b. Paragraph “a” does not apply to a vehicle that has been crushed or flattened by mechanical means in such a way that it no longer resembles the vehicle described by the certificate of title if the vehicle recycler who purchased the vehicle verifies that the seller of the vehicle has met the requirements of paragraph “a”. The department shall adopt rules relating to the form of the verification, and the manner in which the verification shall be retained.