1. a. Except as provided in paragraph “b”, a person convicted of violating a provision of this chapter is guilty of a serious misdemeanor.
b. A person convicted of violating section 321H.4A is guilty of a simple misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars nor more than one thousand five hundred dollars or by imprisonment not to exceed thirty days.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 321H.8
- Authorized vehicle recycler: means a person licensed to operate as a vehicle rebuilder, used vehicle parts dealer or vehicle salvager. See Iowa Code 321H.2
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: includes any individual, firm, corporation, partnership, joint adventure, or association, and the plural as well as the singular number. See Iowa Code 321H.2
- Selling: includes bartering, exchanging, or otherwise dealing in. See Iowa Code 321H.2
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Vehicle: means any vehicle as defined in chapter 321. See Iowa Code 321H.2
2. A person who has been convicted of a fraudulent practice, has been convicted of three or more violations of section 321.92, subsection 2, or section 321.99, or has been convicted of any indictable offense in connection with selling or other activity relating to vehicles, in this state or any other state, shall not for a period of five years from the date of conviction be an owner, salesperson, employee, officer of a corporation, or representative of an authorized vehicle recycler or represent themselves as an owner, salesperson, employee, officer of a corporation, or representative of an authorized vehicle recycler.