1. Subject to section 548.116, a person shall not do any of the following:
a. Use, without the consent of the registrant, any reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation of a mark registered under this chapter in connection with the sale, distribution, offering for sale, or advertising of any goods or services on or in connection with which such use is likely to cause confusion or mistake, or to deceive as to the source of origin of such goods or services.
b. Reproduce, counterfeit, copy, or colorably imitate any such mark and apply such reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation to labels, signs, prints, packages, wrappers, receptacles, or advertisements intended to be used upon or in connection with the sale or other distribution in this state of such goods or services.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 548.112
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Mark: means a trademark or service mark, entitled to registration under this chapter, whether registered or not. See Iowa Code 548.101
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Registrant: means a person to whom the registration of a mark under this chapter is issued, and the legal representative, successor, or assignee of such person. See Iowa Code 548.101
- Sale: means any sale, offer for sale, or attempt to sell or lease any land, to the public in this state, for cash or on credit. See Iowa Code 543C.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Use: means the bona fide use of a mark in the ordinary course of trade, and not made merely to reserve a right in a mark. See Iowa Code 548.101
2. The person shall be liable in a civil action by the registrant for any or all of the remedies provided in section 548.114, except that under subsection 1, paragraph “b”, the registrant shall not be entitled to recover profits or damages unless the acts have been committed with the intent to cause confusion or mistake or to deceive.