For the purpose of determining proper venue, a violation of this chapter shall be considered to have been committed in any county in which any of the following apply:
1. An act was performed in furtherance of the violation.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 715.8
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- property: includes personal and real property. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
2. The owner or operator who is the victim of the violation has a place of business in this state.
3. The defendant has control or possession of any proceeds of the violation, or of any books, records, documents, property, financial instrument, computer software, computer program, computer data, or other material or objects used in furtherance of the violation.
4. The defendant unlawfully accessed a computer or computer network by wires, electromagnetic waves, microwaves, or any other means of communication.
5. The defendant resides.
6. A computer used as an object or an instrument in the commission of the violation was located at the time of the violation.