1. A criminal penalty surcharge shall be levied against law violators as provided in this section. When a court imposes a fine or forfeiture for a violation of state law, or a city or county ordinance, except an ordinance regulating the parking of motor vehicles, the court or the clerk of the district court shall assess an additional penalty in the form of a criminal penalty surcharge equal to thirty-five percent of the fine or forfeiture imposed.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 911.1
- clerk: means clerk of the court in which the action or proceeding is brought or is pending; and the words "clerk's office" mean the office of that clerk. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. In the event of multiple offenses, the surcharge shall be based upon the total amount of fines or forfeitures imposed for all offenses.
3. When a fine or forfeiture is suspended in whole or in part, the court shall reduce the surcharge in proportion to the amount suspended.
4. The surcharge is subject to the provisions of chapter 909 governing the payment and collection of fines, as provided in section 909.8.
5. The surcharge shall be remitted by the clerk of court as provided in section 602.8108, subsection 3.