|§ 549.1||Short title|
|§ 549.3||Licensing negotiations|
|§ 549.4||Royalty contract requirements|
|§ 549.5||Improper licensing practices|
|§ 549.7||Remedies — injunction.|
|§ 549.8||Remedies cumulative|
Terms Used In Iowa Code > Chapter 549 - Music Licensing Fees
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Copyright owner: means the owner of a copyright of a nondramatic musical work recognized and enforceable under the copyright laws of the United States under 17 U. See Iowa Code 549.2
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Performing rights society: means an association or corporation, including an agent or employee of the association or corporation, that licenses the public performance of a nondramatic musical work on behalf of a copyright owner, including the American society of composers, authors and publishers (ASCAP), broadcast music, inc. See Iowa Code 549.2
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Proprietor: means the owner of a retail establishment, restaurant, inn, bar, tavern, or any other similar place of business located in this state in which the public may assemble and in which nondramatic musical works may be performed, broadcast, or otherwise transmitted. See Iowa Code 549.2
- royalties: means the license fee or fees payable by a proprietor to a performing rights society for the public performance of a nondramatic musical work. See Iowa Code 549.2
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- United States: includes all the states. See Iowa Code 4.1