Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 75 > Article 56
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Council: means the coordinating council on early childhood developmental services established in K. See Kansas Statutes 75-5648
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- Early intervention services: means developmental services which are designed to meet the developmental needs of each eligible child and the needs of the family related to enhancing the child's development. See Kansas Statutes 75-5648
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Infants and toddlers with disabilities: means children from birth through two years of age who need early intervention services because:
(1) They are experiencing developmental delays; or
(2) they have a diagnosed mental or physical condition that has a high probability of resulting in developmental delay. See Kansas Statutes 75-5648
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lead agency: means the Kansas department of health and environment, designated by the governor to perform the duties described in K. See Kansas Statutes 75-5648
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Ranking minority member: The highest ranking (and usually longest serving) minority member of a committee or subcommittee.
- seal: includes an impression of the seal upon the paper alone, as well as upon wax or a wafer affixed to the paper. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.