Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 3:1
- Commissioner: means the Louisiana Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 3:1
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture and Forestry. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 3:1
- Encumbrance: means any lien, privilege, judgment, mortgage, pledge, pawn, claim, charge, or any other encumbrance of like nature. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 3:1
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means an individual or any legal or commercial entity, including a corporation, business trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, or joint venture. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 3:1
- Place of business: means a permanent location or a portion of a permanent location from which business, in a regulated profession or occupation, is transacted. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 3:1
As used in this Title, the terms defined in this Section have the meanings herein given to them, except where the context expressly indicates otherwise:
(1) “Applicant” means a person or place of business that makes a formal application for a license, permit, certification, registration, or certificate issued pursuant to this Title.
(2) “Commissioner” means the Louisiana Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry.
(3) “Department” means the Department of Agriculture and Forestry.
(4) “Encumbrance” means any lien, privilege, judgment, mortgage, pledge, pawn, claim, charge, or any other encumbrance of like nature.
(5) “Person” means an individual or any legal or commercial entity, including a corporation, business trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, or joint venture. However, for purposes of any adjudications or violations or penalties issued pursuant to the provisions of this Title, “person” shall not include a person or entity volunteering to provide services.
(6) “Place of business” means a permanent location or a portion of a permanent location from which business, in a regulated profession or occupation, is transacted.
(7) “State chemist”, notwithstanding anything in this Title to the contrary, means the director of the Louisiana agricultural experiment station of the Louisiana State University Agricultural Center and also shall mean his designee, who shall be a member of the university’s academic faculty and who, as determined by the state chemist, possesses a practical understanding of a body of knowledge that is sufficient to properly effect relevant analytical and microscopical work, research that may contribute to the knowledge of the properties, values, and proper use of commercial feeding stuffs, commercial fertilizers, and commercial insecticides and fungicides in Louisiana, and other analyses, determinations, responsibilities, duties, and obligations imposed on the state chemist in this Title.
(8) “Sustainable” or “sustainable agriculture” means science-based practices, including the use of technology, which lead to broad outcome-based performance improvements to meet the needs of present and future generations while advancing environmental, social and economic goals, and the well-being of agricultural producers and rural communities. Critical outcomes to consider shall include increasing agricultural productivity, improving human health through access to safe, nutritious, and affordable food, and enhancing agricultural and surrounding environments, including water, soil, and air quality.
Acts 1986, No. 581, §1, eff. July 2, 1986; Acts 2008, No. 920, §1, eff. July 14, 2008; Acts 2010, No. 112, §1, eff. June 8, 2010; Acts 2015, No. 198, §1.