Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:425
- Athlete: means a student who resides in this state, or a student who does not reside in this state but has informed in writing an institution of higher education in this state of the student's intent to participate in that school's intercollegiate sports contests, and who is characterized by either of the following:
(i) Is eligible to participate in junior high, high school, or intercollegiate sports contests as a member of a sports team of a junior high, high school, or institution of higher education which is located in this state and which is a member of a federation or association. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Athlete agent: means any person who recruits or solicits an athlete to enter into an agent contract or professional sport services contract with any person, or who offers anything of value to any person to induce an athlete to enter into an agreement by which any person will represent the athlete, or who for anything of value procures, offers, promises, or attempts to obtain employment for an athlete with a professional sports team. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Contact: means any communication by an athlete agent or by any intermediary with an athlete, or with any third person for the purpose of having that third person communicate with the athlete about the possibility of or formation of any business, financial, or other contractual relationship or agreement, including an agent contract, a professional services contract, or a professional sports services contract. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Institution: means any institution of higher education in this state having an athlete contract with an athlete. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Registered athlete agent: means an athlete agent registered with the division under the provisions of this Chapter. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
A. All institutions of higher education located in this state shall sponsor athlete agent interviews on their campuses during the athlete’s final year of eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics, and a registered athlete agent may interview the athlete to discuss the athlete agent’s representation of the athlete in the marketing of the athlete’s athletic ability or reputation.
B. All institutions sponsoring athlete agent interviews shall give public notice of those interviews not later than the thirtieth day before the date on which the period in which the interviews may be conducted begins. Institutions shall provide written notice of the time, place, and duration of the athlete agent interview program to those registered athlete agents who have previously furnished the athletic director of such institutions with their addresses.
C. The registered athlete agent shall strictly adhere to the specific rules of each separate institution with regard to the time, place, and duration of the registered athlete agent interviews. The interviews shall be conducted in the final year of eligibility during a period not to exceed thirty consecutive days.
D. When an athletic director and head coach is given notice by an athlete agent of intent to contact an athlete, the athletic director or head coach shall, within seventy-two hours, schedule a meeting with the athlete to explain to the athlete the consequences of such contact for the athlete and for the institution. After such meeting, the athletic director or head coach shall notify the athlete agent in writing that the contact may proceed.
Acts 1987, No. 925, §1; Acts 1990, No. 882, §1; Acts 1999, No. 302, §1; Acts 2004, No. 351, §1.