(1) A guardian is entitled to reasonable compensation for services as guardian and to reimbursement for room, board, and clothing personally provided to the ward, but only as approved by court order.
(2) If a minor dies while under guardianship and a conservator has not been appointed for the minor’s estate and if the guardian has possession of any money of the deceased minor, upon petition of the guardian and with or without notice, the court may hear a claim for burial expenses or another claim as the court considers advisable. Upon hearing the claim, the court may enter an order allowing or disallowing the claim or a part of it and may provide in an order of allowance that the claim or a part of it be paid immediately if the payment can be made without injury or serious inconvenience to the minor’s estate.
Terms Used In Michigan Laws 700.5216
- Claim: includes , but is not limited to, in respect to a decedent's or protected individual's estate, a liability of the decedent or protected individual, whether arising in contract, tort, or otherwise, and a liability of the estate that arises at or after the decedent's death or after a conservator's appointment, including funeral and burial expenses and costs and expenses of administration. See Michigan Laws 700.1103
- Conservator: means a person appointed by a court to manage a protected individual's estate. See Michigan Laws 700.1103
- Court: means the probate court or, when applicable, the family division of circuit court. See Michigan Laws 700.1103
- Estate: includes the property of the decedent, trust, or other person whose affairs are subject to this act as the property is originally constituted and as it exists throughout administration. See Michigan Laws 700.1104
- Guardian: means a person who has qualified as a guardian of a minor or a legally incapacitated individual under a parental or spousal nomination or a court appointment and includes a limited guardian as described in sections 5205, 5206, and 5306. See Michigan Laws 700.1104
- Minor: means an individual who is less than 18 years of age. See Michigan Laws 700.1106
- Money: means legal tender or a note, draft, certificate of deposit, stock, bond, check, or credit card. See Michigan Laws 700.1106
- Petition: means a written request to the court for an order after notice. See Michigan Laws 700.1106
- Ward: means an individual for whom a guardian is appointed. See Michigan Laws 700.1108