Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 445 > Act 448 of 1998 - Uniform Trade Secrets Act
- Application: means a written request to the probate register for an order of informal probate or informal appointment under part 3 of article III. See Michigan Laws 700.1103
- Assessment: means the amount levied against an owner of a transient facility within an assessment district computed by application of the applicable percentage against aggregate room charges with respect to that transient facility during the applicable assessment period. See Michigan Laws 141.1442
- Assessment district: means a municipality or a combination of municipalities as described in an event center financing program. See Michigan Laws 141.1442
- Clerk: means the clerk of the municipality. See Michigan Laws 141.1442
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Court: means the probate court or, when applicable, the family division of circuit court. See Michigan Laws 700.1103
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Event center: means all or any part, or any combination of convention halls, auditoriums, stadiums, music halls, arenas, meeting rooms, exhibit areas, and related public areas owned by a municipality or related event center authority. See Michigan Laws 141.1442
- Event center financing program: means a program established by a municipality to plan, develop, design, and construct an event center. See Michigan Laws 141.1442
- Event center financing program notice: means the notice described in section 3. See Michigan Laws 141.1442
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Improper means: includes theft, bribery, misrepresentation, breach, or inducement of a breach of a duty to maintain secrecy or espionage through electronic or any other means. See Michigan Laws 445.1902
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Misappropriation: means either of the following:
(i) Acquisition of a trade secret of another by a person who knows or has reason to know that the trade secret was acquired by improper means. See Michigan Laws 445.1902
month: means a calendar month; the word "year" a calendar year; and the word "year" alone shall be equivalent to the words "year of our Lord". See Michigan Laws 8.3j Municipality: means 1 of the following:
(i) A county having a population of greater than 250,000 and less than 300,000 according to the most recent federal decennial census and that levies an excise tax under 1974 PA 263, MCL 141. See Michigan Laws 141.1442
Owner: means the owner of a transient facility located within the assessment district or, if the transient facility is operated or managed by a person other than the owner, then the operator or manager of that transient facility. See Michigan Laws 141.1442 Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l Person: means an individual, corporation, partnership, association, governmental entity, or any other legal entity. See Michigan Laws 445.1902 Room: means a room or other space provided for sleeping, including the furnishings and other accessories in the room. See Michigan Laws 141.1442 Room charge: means the charge imposed for the use or occupancy of a room, excluding charges for food, beverages, state use tax, telephone service, or like services paid in connection with the charge, and reimbursement of the assessment imposed by this act. See Michigan Laws 141.1442 state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o State: means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. See Michigan Laws 700.1107 Statute: A law passed by a legislature. terms of the trust: means the manifestation of the settlor's intent regarding a trust's provisions as expressed in the trust instrument or as may be established by other evidence that would be admissible in a judicial proceeding. See Michigan Laws 700.1107 Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident. Trade secret: means information, including a formula, pattern, compilation, program, device, method, technique, or process, that is both of the following:
(i) Derives independent economic value, actual or potential, from not being generally known to, and not being readily ascertainable by proper means by, other persons who can obtain economic value from its disclosure or use. See Michigan Laws 445.1902
Transient facility: means a building that contains 35 or more rooms used in the business of providing dwelling, lodging, or sleeping to transient guests, whether or not membership is required for the use of the rooms. See Michigan Laws 141.1442 Transient guest: means a natural person who occupies a room in a transient facility for less than 30 consecutive days regardless of who pays the room charge. See Michigan Laws 141.1442 Trust: includes , but is not limited to, an express trust, private or charitable, with additions to the trust, wherever and however created. See Michigan Laws 700.1107 Use tax: means the tax imposed under the use tax act, 1937 PA 94, MCL 205. See Michigan Laws 141.1442 Will: includes , but is not limited to, a codicil and a testamentary instrument that appoints a personal representative, revokes or revises another will, nominates a guardian, or expressly excludes or limits the right of an individual or class to succeed to the decedent's property that is passing by intestate succession. See Michigan Laws 700.1108