475.213. Payment of claims according to priority. — 1. All claims filed against the estate of a protectee shall be paid by the conservator as far as he has assets subject thereto, in the order specified in section 475.211, and, unless otherwise provided by law, no claim of one class shall be paid until all previous classes are satisfied. If there are not sufficient assets subject thereto to pay the whole of any one class, claims of that class shall be paid in proportion to their amounts, unless otherwise provided by law.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 475.213
- Claims: liabilities of the protectee arising in contract, in tort or otherwise, before or after the appointment of a conservator, and liabilities of the estate which arise at or after the adjudication of disability or after the appointment of a conservator of the estate, including expenses of the adjudication and of administration. See Missouri Laws 475.010
- conservator: as used in this chapter , includes limited conservator unless otherwise specified or apparent from the context. See Missouri Laws 475.010
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Protectee: a person for whose estate a conservator or limited conservator has been appointed or with respect to whose estate a transaction has been authorized by the court under section Missouri Laws 475.010
2. Whether or not there has been notice under section 475.140, the court, upon its own motion or the motion of any interested person, may at any time direct the giving of notice to creditors of a protectee requiring them to file their claims in the court within a period stated in the notice, not less than two months from the date of the first publication of the notice. Any creditor who fails to file his claim within the time prescribed in the notice provided for by this subsection shall be barred from participating in any disbursement ordered paid by the court from assets then on hand. The conservator shall list the complete name and address of every creditor of the estate known to him and shall give each creditor so listed written notice by ordinary mail of the time for filing claims. On or before the expiration of the period stated in the notice, the conservator shall file the list of creditors along with proof of service as provided in section 472.110, and any written waivers, in the court. Thereafter, the court may direct the conservator to pay out assets available for payment of claims in accordance with section 475.211 and subsection 1 of this section.