1. There is hereby created the “Public Defender Commission”. The commission shall be composed of seven members, four of whom shall be lawyers, appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. No more than four members shall be of the same political party.
2. Upon the expiration of the terms of the persons who are members of the commission on April 1, 1982, the term of office of each commissioner thereafter appointed shall be six years from the time of his appointment and qualification and until his successor shall qualify. Vacancies in the commission shall be filled by the governor for the unexpired term. Commissioners may succeed themselves.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 600.015
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Commission: the public defender commission. See Missouri Laws 600.011
- Director: the state public defender director. See Missouri Laws 600.011
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
3. The state public defender director shall, upon appointment, become an ex officio member of the commission without vote and shall participate in all meetings of the commission except during discussions relating to renewal of his term or to his removal from his office and such other matters as the commission may designate.
4. The commission shall meet on a regular basis and shall be presided over by a chairperson elected by its members.
5. Commission members shall receive no salaries, but shall receive their actual and necessary expenses incurred in connection with the performance of their duties.