The commission shall have the following powers together with all powers incident thereto or necessary for the performance thereof:
(1) To select the director, deputy directors and public defenders;
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 600.017
- Assigned counsel: means private attorneys who are hired by the state public defender director to handle the cases of eligible persons from time to time on a case basis. See Missouri Laws 600.011
- Commission: the public defender commission. See Missouri Laws 600.011
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Director: the state public defender director. See Missouri Laws 600.011
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of the statutes, mean the section next preceding or next following that in which the reference is made, unless some other section is expressly designated in the reference. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- State public defender system: a system for providing defense services to every jurisdiction within the state by means of a centrally administered organization having a full-time staff. See Missouri Laws 600.011
(2) To draw up procedures, with the assistance of the director, for the selection of public defenders, assistant public defenders, and deputy public defenders and staff assistants;
(3) Receive client complaints when not resolved by the defender agency, review office performance, and monitor the performance of the director;
(4) Assist in insuring the independence of the state public defender system by educating the public regarding constitutional requirements and the function of the defenders;
(5) Remove the director or any deputy from office in the event that good cause is shown;
(6) Review the budget request prepared by the director, provide advice on the budget request before its submission, and provide support for the request before the legislature;
(7) Approve the fee schedule for payment of assigned counsel;
(8) Determine matters affecting the compensation, vacations and employment benefits of the state public defender director and the deputy directors;
(9) Collect or enforce or contract for the collection and enforcement of liens and judgments in accordance with the provisions of sections 600.011 to 600.048 and 600.086 to 600.096 and establish any rules needed for processing any such liens and judgments; and
(10) Make any rules needed for the administration of the state public defender system.