44-6-106. Release of DNA records. (1) The DNA records contained in the DNA identification index may be released only for the following purposes:
Terms Used In Montana Code 44-6-106
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the department of justice provided for in 2-15-2001. See Montana Code 44-6-101
- DNA: means deoxyribonucleic acid. See Montana Code 44-6-101
- DNA identification index: means the DNA identification record system established under 44-6-102. See Montana Code 44-6-101
- DNA record: means DNA identification information stored in the DNA identification index for purposes of establishing identification in connection with law enforcement investigations or supporting statistical interpretation of the results of DNA analysis. See Montana Code 44-6-101
- Person: includes a corporation or other entity as well as a natural person. See Montana Code 1-1-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Montana Code 1-1-201
- Writing: includes printing. See Montana Code 1-1-203
(a) to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies for law enforcement identification purposes;
(b) for criminal defense purposes, to a defendant for whom there is a DNA record, who is also entitled to samples and analyses held as part of the record;
(c) to assist in the identification of human remains, including missing persons; and
(d) if information allowing a person to be identified is removed, for a population statistics database and for identification, research, and protocol development for forensic DNA analysis and quality control.
(2) Requests for DNA records must be in writing, signed by the requesting party, and maintained on file in the DNA identification index in accordance with rules adopted by the department.
(3) A defendant in a criminal proceeding is entitled to information in the DNA identification index relating to the number of requests previously made for comparison searches relating to the defendant and the names of the requesting parties.