|Part 1||General||§ 37-60-101 – § 37-60-105|
|Part 2||Director of Department — Board||§ 37-60-201 – § 37-60-211|
|Part 3||Licensing||§ 37-60-301 – § 37-60-320|
|Part 4||Provisions Regulating Practice||§ 37-60-401 – § 37-60-411|
Terms Used In Montana Code > Title 37 > Chapter 60
- Alarm response runner: means an individual employed by an electronic security company, a contract security company, or a proprietary security organization to respond to security alarm system signals. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Armed: means an individual who at any time wears, carries, or possesses a firearm in the performance of professional duties. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Attorney-at-law: A person who is legally qualified and licensed to practice law, and to represent and act for clients in legal proceedings.
- Board: means the board of private security provided for in 2-15-1781. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Branch office: means any office of a licensee within the state, other than its principal place of business within the state. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contract security company: means any person who undertakes to provide a private security guard, alarm response runner, armored car service, street patrol service, or armed carrier service on a contractual basis to another person who exercises no direction and control over the performance of the details of the services rendered. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the department of labor and industry provided for in 2-15-1701. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Electronic security company: means a person who sells, installs, services, or maintains a security alarm system and who undertakes to hire, employ, and provide alarm response runners and security alarm installers on a contractual basis to another person who does not exercise direction and control over the performance of the services rendered. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Firearms instructor: means an individual who has been approved by the board to instruct firearms courses in the use of weapons. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Insurance adjuster: means a person employed by an insurance company, other than a private investigator, who for any consideration conducts investigations in the course of adjusting or otherwise participating in the disposal of any claims in connection with a policy of insurance but who does not perform surveillance activities or investigate crimes against the United States or any state or territory of the United States. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Knowingly: means only a knowledge that the facts exist which bring the act or omission within the provisions of this code. See Montana Code 1-1-204
- legal assistant: means a person qualified through education, training, or work experience to perform substantive legal work that requires knowledge of legal concepts and that is customarily but not exclusively performed by a lawyer and who may be retained or employed by one or more lawyers, law offices, governmental agencies, or other entities or who may be authorized by administrative, statutory, or court authority to perform this work. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Licensee: means a person licensed under this chapter. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oath: includes an affirmation or declaration. See Montana Code 1-1-201
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Peace officer: has the meaning as defined in 46-1-202. See Montana Code 1-1-207
- Person: means an individual, firm, company, association, organization, partnership, or corporation. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Private investigator: means a person other than an insurance adjuster who for any consideration makes or agrees to make any investigation with reference to:
(a) crimes against the United States or any state or territory of the United States;
(b) the identity, habits, conduct, business, occupation, honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, efficiency, loyalty, activity, movement, location, affiliations, associations, transactions, reputation, or character of any person;
(c) the location, disposition, or recovery of lost or stolen property;
(d) the cause or responsibility for fires, libels, losses, accidents, or injury to persons or property; or
(e) gathering evidence to be used before any court, board, officer, or investigating committee. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Private security guard: means an individual employed or assigned duties to protect a person or property or both a person and property from criminal acts and whose duties or any portion of whose duties include but are not limited to the prevention of unlawful entry, theft, criminal mischief, arson, or trespass on private property or the direction of the movements of the public in public areas. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Process: means a writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Montana Code 1-1-202
- Process server: means a person described in 25-1-1101(1). See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Property: means real and personal property. See Montana Code 1-1-205
- Proprietary security organization: means any person who employs a private security guard, alarm response runner, armored car service, street patrol service, or armed carrier service on a routine basis solely for the purposes of that person and exerts direction and control over the performance of the details of the service rendered. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Resident manager: means the person appointed to exercise direct supervision, control, charge, management, or operation of each office located in this state where the business of the licensee is conducted. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Security alarm installer: means an individual who sells, installs, services, or maintains security alarm systems to detect and signal unauthorized intrusion, movement, break-in, or criminal acts and is employed by an electronic security company. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Security alarm system: means an assembly of equipment and devices or a single device or a portion of a system intended to detect or signal or to both detect and signal unauthorized intrusion, movement, or criminal acts at a location. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- Security company: means an electronic security company, a proprietary security organization, or a contract security company. See Montana Code 37-60-101
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Montana Code 1-1-201
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Montana Code 1-1-201