1. The Legislature hereby declares that its priorities in expending the proceeds to the State of Nevada from settlement agreements with and civil actions against manufacturers of tobacco products are:
Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes 396.911
- Community college: means all of the community colleges within the Nevada System of Higher Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 396.005
- settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- University: means all of the universities within the Nevada System of Higher Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 396.005
(a) To increase the number of Nevada students who attend and graduate from Nevada institutions of higher education; and
(b) To assist Nevada residents in obtaining and maintaining good health.
2. To further these priorities, the Legislature hereby declares that it is in the best interest of the residents of the State of Nevada that all money received by the State of Nevada pursuant to any settlement entered into by the State of Nevada and a manufacturer of tobacco products and all money recovered by the State of Nevada from a judgment in a civil action against a manufacturer of tobacco products be dedicated solely toward the achievement of the following goals:
(a) Increasing the number of residents of the State of Nevada who enroll in and attend a university, college or community college in the State of Nevada;
(b) Reducing and preventing the use of tobacco products, alcohol and illegal drugs, especially by children;
(c) Expanding the availability of health insurance and health care for children and adults in this State, especially for children and for adults with disabilities;
(d) Assisting senior citizens who have modest incomes in purchasing prescription drugs and assisting those senior citizens in meeting their needs related to health care, home care, respite care and their ability to live independent of institutional care; and
(e) Promoting the general health of all residents of the State of Nevada.