Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 146 > Distribution of Small Estates
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Department: means the Department of Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Gross revenue: means the amount of the commission received by a licensee that is deducted from off-track pari-mutuel wagering, plus breakage and the face amount of unpaid winning tickets that remain unpaid for a period specified by the Nevada Gaming Commission. See Nevada Revised Statutes 464.005
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- mortgage: includes a deed of trust. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.037
- Off-track pari-mutuel system: means a computerized system, or component of such a system, that is used with regard to a pari-mutuel pool to transmit information such as amounts wagered, odds and payoffs on races, sporting events or other events. See Nevada Revised Statutes 464.005
- Off-track pari-mutuel wagering: means any pari-mutuel system of wagering approved by the Nevada Gaming Commission for the acceptance of wagers on:
(a) Horse or dog races which take place outside of this state;
(b) Sporting events; or
(c) Other events. See Nevada Revised Statutes 464.005
- Pari-mutuel system of wagering: means any system whereby wagers with respect to the outcome of a race, sporting event or other event are placed in a wagering pool conducted by a person licensed or otherwise permitted to do so under state law, and in which the participants are wagering with each other and not against that person. See Nevada Revised Statutes 464.005
- person: means a natural person, any form of business or social organization and any other nongovernmental legal entity including, but not limited to, a corporation, partnership, association, trust or unincorporated organization. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.039
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Testate: To die leaving a will.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.