Washington Code > Chapter 11.62 – Small estates — Disposition of property
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Washington Code > Chapter 11.62 - Small estates -- Disposition of property
- Administrator: means a personal representative of the estate of a decedent and the term may be used in lieu of "personal representative" wherever required by context. See
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Escheat: Reversion of real or personal property to the state when 1) a person dies without leaving a will and has no heirs, or 2) when the property (such as a bank account) has been inactive for a certain period of time. Source: OCC
- Intangible property: Property that has no intrinsic value, but is merely the evidence of value such as stock certificates, bonds, and promissory notes.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Issue: means all the lineal descendants of an individual. See
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: shall mean any individual or organization, specifically including but not limited to a bank, credit union, brokerage firm or stock transfer agent, corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, or any other legal or commercial entity. See
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Personal property: shall include any tangible personal property, any instrument evidencing a debt, obligation, stock, chose in action, license or ownership, any debt or any other intangible property. See
- Personal representative: includes executor, administrator, special administrator, and conservator or limited conservator and special representative. See
- Probate: Proving a will
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- successors: shall mean (subject to subsection (2)(b) of this section):