|§ 30-4-101||Short Title|
|§ 30-4-102||Chapter Definitions|
|§ 30-4-103||Affidavit — Filing Fees — Bond — Discharge|
|§ 30-4-104||Administration by Affiant|
|§ 30-4-105||Construction of Chapter|
Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 30 > Chapter 4 - Small Estates
- Accumulated contributions: means the sum of all the amounts deducted from the compensation of a member, together with any amount transferred to the account of the member established pursuant to chapters 34-37 of this title from the respective account of the member under one (1) or more of the superseded systems, with interest thereon, as provided in Â§. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Affiant: means the person executing the affidavit provided for in Â§ 30-4-103. See Tennessee Code 30-4-102
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Attorney general: means the attorney general and reporter and any assistant thereto by whatever name known, any district attorney general and any assistant thereto by whatever name called, and any officer or full-time employee of the general assembly or any committee thereof established by statute, who is duly licensed to practice law in Tennessee, whose duty it is to provide facilities for drafting bills or to assist individual legislators in drafting bills or who renders legal advice and services to the members of the general assembly or committees thereof. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Beneficiary: means any person, persons or institution receiving a retirement allowance or other benefit as provided in chapters 34-37 of this title. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- board: means the board provided for in part 3 of this chapter. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Code: includes the Tennessee Code and all amendments and revisions to the code and all additions and supplements to the code. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- County judge: means a judge of a general sessions court, probate judge, or judge of a juvenile and/or domestic relations court. See Tennessee Code 8-36-902
- Court: means the court then exercising probate jurisdiction in the county in which the decedent had legal residence on the date of death. See Tennessee Code 30-4-102
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Defined benefit component: means the portion of the hybrid plan that provides a defined benefit plan within the retirement system, but which has its own vesting, benefit structure, and contribution requirements as set forth in this part. See Tennessee Code 8-36-902
- Defined contribution component: means the portion of the hybrid plan that provides a defined contribution plan within the profit sharing and/or salary reduction plan established under chapter 25, part 3 of this title. See Tennessee Code 8-36-902
- Employer: means :
The state or any department, commission, institution, board or agency of the state government by which a member is paid, with respect to members in its employ. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Hybrid plan: means a plan that provides a combination of a defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan which, together, are intended to comply with the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U. See Tennessee Code 8-36-902
- Internal Revenue Code: means the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, codified in United States Code, title 26, as amended. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Legatee: A beneficiary of a decedent
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Member: means any person included in the membership of the retirement system, as provided in chapter 35, part 1 of this title. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Part-time employee: includes any interim teacher who is employed on a temporary basis to teach for a regular teacher who is on unpaid leave. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Participant: means any state employee, teacher, or political subdivision employee participating in the hybrid plan. See Tennessee Code 8-36-902
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means an individual, partnership, firm, business trust, corporation or other legal entity, and includes both singular and plural and masculine and feminine, as appropriate. See Tennessee Code 30-4-102
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, and evidences of debt. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Personal representative: when applied to those who represent a decedent, includes executors and administrators, unless the context implies heirs and distributees. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Political subdivision: means any entity authorized to participate in the retirement system pursuant to chapter 35, part 2 of this title. See Tennessee Code 8-36-902
- Probate: Proving a will
- Property: means personal property, or any interest in personal property, owned by the decedent on the date of death, other than personal property held as tenants by the entirety or jointly with right of survivorship or personal property payable to a beneficiary other than the decedent's estate. See Tennessee Code 30-4-102
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Representative: when applied to those who represent a decedent, includes executors and administrators, unless the context implies heirs and distributees. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Retirement: means withdrawal from membership with a retirement allowance granted under chapters 34-37 of this title. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Retirement allowance: means the sum of the member annuity and the state annuity. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Retirement system: means the Tennessee consolidated retirement system as defined in Â§Â§8-34-201,8-34-202. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Right of survivorship: The ownership rights that result in the acquisition of title to property by reason of having survived other co-owners.
- Service: means service as a general employee, a teacher, a state police officer, a wildlife officer, a firefighter, a police officer, a state judge, a county judge, an attorney general, a commissioner or a county official which is paid for by an employer, and also includes service for which a former member of the general assembly is entitled to under former Â§Â§ 3-401 and 3-406. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Small estate: means the estate of a decedent in which the value of the property does not exceed fifty thousand dollars ($50,000). See Tennessee Code 30-4-102
- State: means the state of Tennessee. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Superseded system: means , where applicable, the Tennessee state retirement system, the Tennessee teachers' retirement system, the Tennessee judges' retirement system, the retirement system for county paid judges of Tennessee, the attorneys general retirement system of Tennessee, the public service commissioners' retirement system, and the Tennessee retirement system for county officials, any one (1) of them, or any combination thereof. See Tennessee Code 8-34-101
- Teacher: has the meaning set forth in Â§. See Tennessee Code 8-36-902
- Testate: To die leaving a will.
- Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC