|General Provisions||398A.010 – 398A.125|
|Certificate of Registration to Act as Athlete Agent||398A.200 – 398A.270|
|Agency Contracts and Records||398A.350 – 398A.380|
|Prohibited Acts and Enforcement||398A.400 – 398A.440|
Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 398A
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contract: means a written contract entered into between a contractor and a public body for the provision of labor, materials, equipment or supplies for a public work. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Contractor: means :
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes Carson City. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.4105
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the Department of Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Division: means the State Public Works Division of the Department of Administration. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Governing body: means the board, council, commission or other body in which the general legislative and fiscal powers of a local government are vested. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Local government: means every political subdivision or other entity which has the right to levy or receive money from ad valorem or other taxes or any mandatory assessments, and includes, without limitation, counties, cities, towns, boards, school districts and other districts organized pursuant to chapters 244A, 318, 318A, 379, 474, 538, 541, 543 and 555 of NRS, NRS 450. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- person: means a natural person, any form of business or social organization and any other nongovernmental legal entity including, but not limited to, a corporation, partnership, association, trust or unincorporated organization. See Nevada Revised Statutes 104.4111
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public work: means any project for the new construction, repair or reconstruction of a project financed in whole or in part from public money for:
(a) Public buildings;
(b) Jails and prisons;
(c) Public roads;
(d) Public highways;
(e) Public streets and alleys;
(f) Public utilities;
(g) Publicly owned water mains and sewers;
(h) Public parks and playgrounds;
(i) Public convention facilities which are financed at least in part with public money; and
(j) All other publicly owned works and property. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subcontractor: means a person who:
(b) Contracts with a contractor, another subcontractor or a supplier to provide labor, materials or services for a construction project. See Nevada Revised Statutes 338.010
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.