Terms Used In New York Laws > Private Housing Finance > Article 17
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Child: means any person or persons alleged to have been abused or neglected, whichever the case may be;
(c) "A case involving abuse" means any proceeding under this article in which there are allegations that one or more of the children of, or the legal responsibility of, the respondent are abused children;
(d) "Drug" means any substance defined as a controlled substance in section thirty-three hundred six of the public health law;
(e) "Abused child" means a child less than eighteen years of age whose parent or other person legally responsible for his care
(i) inflicts or allows to be inflicted upon such child physical injury by other than accidental means which causes or creates a substantial risk of death, or serious or protracted disfigurement, or protracted impairment of physical or emotional health or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily organ, or
(ii) creates or allows to be created a substantial risk of physical injury to such child by other than accidental means which would be likely to cause death or serious or protracted disfigurement, or protracted impairment of physical or emotional health or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily organ, or
(iii) (A) commits, or allows to be committed an offense against such child defined in article one hundred thirty of the penal law; (B) allows, permits or encourages such child to engage in any act described in sections 230. See N.Y. Family Court Law 1012
- Child protective agency: means the child protective service of the appropriate local department of social services or such other agencies with whom the local department has arranged for the provision of child protective services under the local plan for child protective services or an Indian tribe that has entered into an agreement with the state department of social services pursuant to section thirty-nine of the social services law to provide child protective services. See N.Y. Family Court Law 1012
- Commissioner: shall mean the commissioner of the state division of housing and community renewal. See N.Y. Private Housing Finance Law 1002
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Division: shall mean the state division of housing and community renewal. See N.Y. Private Housing Finance Law 1002
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Housing preservation and community renewal activities: include (a) the new construction or the acquisition, maintenance, preservation, repair, rehabilitation or other improvement of vacant or occupied housing accommodations; demolition or sealing of vacant structures where necessary or appropriate; disposition of housing accommodations to present or potential occupants or co-operative organizations; training or other forms of assistance to occupants of housing accommodations; and management of housing accommodations as agent for the owners, receivers, administrators or municipalities; (b) activities, similar to those specified in paragraph (a) of this subdivision, aimed at accomplishing similar purposes and meeting similar needs with respect to retail and service establishments within a region when carried out in connection with and incidental to a program of housing related activities. See N.Y. Private Housing Finance Law 1002
- Merged corporation: shall mean a not-for-profit corporation maintaining a contract pursuant to section one thousand three of this article that has undergone a merger with one or more other not-for-profit corporation, which is also maintaining a contract pursuant to section one thousand three of this article, that has led the merged corporations to reduce the number of contracts being maintained with the division pursuant to section one thousand three of this article to a total of one. See N.Y. Private Housing Finance Law 1002
- Neglected child: means a child less than eighteen years of age
(i) whose physical, mental or emotional condition has been impaired or is in imminent danger of becoming impaired as a result of the failure of his parent or other person legally responsible for his care to exercise a minimum degree of care
(A) in supplying the child with adequate food, clothing, shelter or education in accordance with the provisions of part one of article sixty-five of the education law, or medical, dental, optometrical or surgical care, though financially able to do so or offered financial or other reasonable means to do so, or, in the case of an alleged failure of the respondent to provide education to the child, notwithstanding the efforts of the school district or local educational agency and child protective agency to ameliorate such alleged failure prior to the filing of the petition; or
(B) in providing the child with proper supervision or guardianship, by unreasonably inflicting or allowing to be inflicted harm, or a substantial risk thereof, including the infliction of excessive corporal punishment; or by misusing a drug or drugs; or by misusing alcoholic
beverages to the extent that he loses self-control of his actions; or by any other acts of a similarly serious nature requiring the aid of the court; provided, however, that where the respondent is voluntarily and regularly participating in a rehabilitative program, evidence that the respondent has repeatedly misused a drug or drugs or alcoholic beverages to the extent that he loses self-control of his actions shall not establish that the child is a neglected child in the absence of evidence establishing that the child's physical, mental or emotional condition has been impaired or is in imminent danger of becoming impaired as set forth in paragraph (i) of this subdivision; or
(ii) who has been abandoned, in accordance with the definition and other criteria set forth in subdivision five of section three hundred eighty-four-b of the social services law, by his parents or other person legally responsible for his care. See N.Y. Family Court Law 1012
- Parent: means a person who is recognized under the laws of the state of New York to be the child's legal parent. See N.Y. Family Court Law 1012
- Permanency hearing: means a hearing held in accordance with section one thousand eighty-nine of this act for the purpose of reviewing the foster care status of the child and the appropriateness of the permanency plan developed by the social services district or agency. See N.Y. Family Court Law 1012
- Person legally responsible: includes the child's custodian, guardian, any other person responsible for the child's care at the relevant time. See N.Y. Family Court Law 1012
- Persons of low income: shall mean individuals and families whose annual incomes do not exceed ninety per cent of the median annual income for all residents of the region within which they reside or a larger area encompassing such region for which median annual income can be determined. See N.Y. Private Housing Finance Law 1002
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Region: shall mean those portions of the rural area of the state, as specified in the contract entered into pursuant to this article, within which housing and community renewal activities funded in part pursuant to this article are to be carried out. See N.Y. Private Housing Finance Law 1002
- Relative: means any person who is related to the child by blood, marriage or adoption and who is not a parent, putative parent or relative of a putative parent of the child. See N.Y. Family Court Law 1012
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- Rural area of the state: shall mean cities, towns and villages having a population of less than twenty-five thousand. See N.Y. Private Housing Finance Law 1002
- Suitable person: means any person who plays or has played a significant positive role in the child's life or in the life of the child's family. See N.Y. Family Court Law 1012
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Unmerged corporation: shall mean a not-for-profit corporation that is not a merged corporation. See N.Y. Private Housing Finance Law 1002