1. Every contract between a consumer and an automobile broker business for the purchase of an automobile shall be in writing, shall be dated, shall contain the street address of the automobile broker business and the consumer and shall be signed by the consumer and by the automobile broker business. Every contract shall comply with the requirements set forth in this section and contain the following:
Terms Used In N.Y. General Business Law 738
- Automobile broker business: means any person who, for a fee, commission or other valuable consideration, regardless of whether such fee, commission, or consideration is paid directly by a consumer, offers to provide, provides, or represents that he or she will provide a service of purchasing, arranging, assisting, facilitating or effecting the purchase or lease of an automobile as agent, broker, or intermediary for a consumer. See N.Y. General Business Law 736
- Consumer: means a natural person who is solicited to purchase or who purchases the services of an automobile broker business. See N.Y. General Business Law 736
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
(a) A complete description of the automobile and each option, if any, ordered; a statement of whether the automobile is or will be manufactured in accordance with United States specifications and is or will be certified by the manufacturer as such; if the automobile is not or will not be manufactured in accordance with United States safety and environmental specifications, and the consumer has retained the automobile broker business to arrange for the modification of the automobile to meet such specifications, the name and street address of the modification facility and a statement in immediate proximity to such information that the automobile broker business assumes full financial responsibility that the automobile will be properly modified to meet all United States safety and environmental specifications.
(b) The price of the automobile including any options ordered. If the price set forth is an estimated price, a statement in immediate proximity to the price that the price is an estimated price only and that the consumer has the right to cancel the contract and to receive a full refund if the final price exceeds the estimated price by more than five percent.
(c) The estimated delivery date of the automobile and the place of delivery and a statement in immediate proximity to the estimated delivery date that, if the automobile has not been delivered in accordance with the contract within thirty days following such estimated delivery date, the consumer has the right to cancel the contract and to receive a full refund, unless the delay in delivery is attributable to the consumer.
(d) A statement of whether or not the manufacturer’s warranty accompanying the automobile is the same warranty as that furnished to purchasers of that make automobile from an authorized dealer located in the United States.
(e) A description of any other services and an itemization of the charges for each. Such description shall include disclosure of the automobile dealer from which the automobile was purchased, as well as all fees, commissions or other valuable considerations paid by an automobile dealer to the automobile broker business for selling, arranging, assisting or effecting the sale of an automobile as agent, broker, or intermediary between the consumer and the automobile dealer.
(f) If a consumer elects to cancel the contract pursuant to paragraph (b) or (c) of this subdivision, he or she shall notify in writing the automobile broker business at the address specified in the contract. The automobile broker business shall make a full refund to the consumer within ten business days following receipt of the request for a refund. The contract shall contain a statement, setting forth the consumer’s right to cancel the contract under paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subdivision and the refund obligations of the automobile broker business.
(g) The statements required by paragraphs (a), (b), (c), and (f) of this subdivision shall be printed in at least ten point bold type.
2. The contract shall be accompanied by a completed form in duplicate, captioned “Notice of Cancellation” which shall be attached to the contract and easily detachable, and which shall contain in at least ten point type the following:
“Notice of Cancellation”
“You may cancel this contract, without any penalty or obligation, within three days from the date that a copy of an executed contract is received by you.
To cancel this contract, mail or deliver a signed and dated copy of this cancellation notice, or any other written notice, to (__________________________________) at (________________________) name of automobile broker business
address not later than midnight of the third day following your receipt of a signed contract. I hereby cancel this transaction.”
(signature of consumer)
3. An automobile broker business shall deliver to the consumer or mail to him or her at the address shown on the contract, an executed copy thereof.
4. An automobile broker business in any transaction involving the lease of a vehicle shall provide the retail lessee with a retail lease agreement as provided for in section three hundred thirty-seven of the personal property law. The automobile broker shall provide a written disclosure of the amount of any fee, commission or other consideration paid or expected to be paid by the lessor to the automobile broker business in connection with a transaction involving the lease of a vehicle. Such disclosure shall be signed by the retail lessee. The automobile broker business shall provide the retail lessee with a signed copy of such disclosure together with the retail lease agreement referenced herein.