|§ 20-38.3||Police processing duties|
|§ 20-38.4||Initial appearance|
|§ 20-38.6||Motions and district court procedure|
|§ 20-38.7||Appeal to superior court|
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes > Chapter 20 > Article 2D
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Board: means the State Board of Registration for Foresters, provided for by this Chapter. See North Carolina General Statutes 89B-2
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. See North Carolina General Statutes 20-279.32A
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of a statute, shall be construed to mean the section next preceding or next following that in which such reference is made; unless when some other section is expressly designated in such reference. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Forester: means a person who by reason of special knowledge and training in natural sciences, mathematics, silviculture, forest protection, forest mensuration, forest management, forest economics, and forest utilization is qualified to engage in the practice of forestry. See North Carolina General Statutes 89B-2
- Forestry: means the professional practice embracing the science, business, and the art of creating, conserving, and managing forests and forestlands for the sustained use and enjoyment of their resources, material, or other forest produce. See North Carolina General Statutes 89B-2
- in writing: may be construed to include printing, engraving, lithographing, and any other mode of representing words and letters: Provided, that in all cases where a written signature is required by law, the same shall be in a proper handwriting, or in a proper mark. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- oath: shall be construed to include "affirmation" in all cases where by law an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in like cases the word "sworn" shall be construed to include the word "affirmed. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: Any individual, corporation, partnership, association, unit of government, or other legal entity. See North Carolina General Statutes 20-119.1
- Persons: means any individual, partnership, firm, corporation, company, cooperative, association, society, trust or any other business unit or entity, including any state or federal agency. See North Carolina General Statutes 20-279.32A
- Practice of forestry: means rendering professional forestry services, including but not limited to, consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, or other forestry activities requiring knowledge, training, and experience in forestry principles and techniques. See North Carolina General Statutes 89B-2
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories, so called; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- State: means the State of North Carolina or any agency or instrumentality thereof. See North Carolina General Statutes 20-279.32A
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3