An individual or group health insurance policy may be extended to insure the individuals, employees, or members with respect to their family members or dependents, including dependents of dependents, or any class or classes thereof, subject to the following:
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 26.1-36-22
- children: includes children by birth and by adoption. See North Dakota Code 1-01-18
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute means the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- Individual: means a human being. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- Person: means an individual, organization, government, political subdivision, or government agency or instrumentality. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- year: means twelve consecutive months. See North Dakota Code 1-01-33
1. The premium for the insurance must be paid either from funds contributed by the employer, union, association, or other person to whom the policy has been issued, or from funds contributed by the covered persons, or from both. A policy on which no part of the premium for the family members or dependents coverage is to be derived from funds contributed by the covered persons must insure all eligible employees or members with respect to their family members or dependents, or any class or classes thereof.
2. An insurer may exclude or limit the coverage on any family member or dependent as to whom evidence of individual insurability is not satisfactory to the insurer.
3. A policy that provides coverage for a dependent child of an employee or other member of the covered group must provide such coverage up to a limiting age of twenty-two years of age, if the dependent child physically resides with the employee or other member and is chiefly dependent upon the employee or member for support and maintenance.
4. A policy that provides that coverage for a dependent child of an employee or other member of the covered group terminates upon attainment of the limiting age for dependent children specified in the policy does not operate to terminate the coverage of a dependent child while the child is a full-time student and has not attained the age of twenty-six years or while the child is and continues to be both incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of intellectual disability or physical disability and chiefly dependent upon the employee or member for support and maintenance, provided proof of incapacity and dependency is furnished to the insurer by the employee or member within thirty-one days of the child’s attainment of limiting age and subsequently as may be required by the insurer but not more frequently than annually after the two-year period following the child’s attainment of the limiting age.