As used in this code, unless the context otherwise requires:
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- written: include "typewriting" and "typewritten" and "printing" and
"printed" except in the case of signatures and when the words are used by way of contrast to typewriting and printing. See North Dakota Code 1-01-37
1. “Depose” includes every mode of written statement under oath or affirmation.
2. “Executor” includes assets of the estate, pay debts, and distribute residue to those entitled to it.”>administrator and “administrator” includes executor.
3. “Individual” means a human being.
4. “Oath” includes “affirmation”.
5. “Organization” includes a foreign or domestic association, business trust, corporation, enterprise, estate, joint venture, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, limited partnership, partnership, trust, or any legal or commercial entity.
6. “Partnership” includes a limited liability partnership registered under chapter 45-22.
7. “Penitentiary” includes any affiliated facilities.
8. “Person” means an individual, organization, government, political subdivision, or government agency or instrumentality.
9. “Personal property” includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, and evidences of debt.
10. “Preceding” and “following” when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute means the next preceding or next following chapter or other part.
11. “Process” means a writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings.
12. “Property” includes property, real and personal.
13. “Real property” shall be coextensive with lands, tenements, and hereditaments.
14. “Rule” includes regulation.
15. “Signature” or “subscription” includes “mark” when the person cannot write, the person’s name being written near it and written by a person who writes that person’s own name as a witness.
16. “State” when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories.
17. “Testify” includes every mode of oral statement under oath or affirmation.
18. “United States” includes the District of Columbia and the territories.
19. “Will” includes codicils.
20. “Writ” means an order or precept in writing, issued in the name of the state or of a court or judicial officer.