An action for any one of the following causes must be tried in the county where the cause or some part thereof arose, subject to the power of the court to change the place of trial as provided in sections 28-04-09 and 28-04-10:
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 28-04-03
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute means the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- Individual: means a human being. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- Person: means an individual, organization, government, political subdivision, or government agency or instrumentality. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
1. For the recovery of a penalty or forfeiture imposed by statute, except that when it is imposed for an offense committed on a lake or river or other stream of water situated in two or more counties, the action may be brought in any county bordering on such lake, river, or stream, and opposite the place where the offense was committed; and
2. Against a public officer, or person specially appointed to execute the officer’s duties, for an act done by that individual by virtue of office, or against a person who by that person’s command or aid shall do anything touching the duties of such officer.