North Dakota Code 47-16-15 – Notice of termination of lease
1. A lease of real property for a term not specified by the parties is deemed to be renewed as stated in section 47-16-06 at the end of the term implied by law, unless one of the parties gives notice to the other of an intention to terminate the lease, at least as long before the expiration of the lease as the term of the hiring itself, not exceeding one calendar month.
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 47-16-15
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Property: includes property, real and personal. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- written: include "typewriting" and "typewritten" and "printing" and "printed" except in the case of signatures and when the words are used by way of contrast to typewriting and printing. See North Dakota Code 1-01-37
2. In tenancies from month to month, and unless the parties have otherwise agreed in writing to a longer notice period or a different notice time, either party may terminate the tenancy by giving at least one calendar month’s written notice at any time. The rent is due and payable to and including the date of termination.
3. If a landlord changes the terms of the lease pursuant to section 47-16-07, the tenant may terminate the lease at the end of the month by giving at least twenty-five days’ notice.
4. Any agreement that requires a lessee to give notice that exceeds one month from the end of a month to terminate a lease of real property for residential purposes must state the notice requirement and provide space for the lessee to initial next to the notice requirement. If the notice is not initialed by the lessee at the time of executing the lease, the lessee may terminate the lease on the last day of a month with at least one calendar month’s notice.
5. If a lease converts to a month-to-month tenancy under section 47-16-06 or 47-16-06.1, either party may terminate the lease on the last day of a month with at least one calendar month’s notice.