Only a lease of real property which is terminable at the pleasure of one of the parties to the contract is terminated by the notice to one party of the death or incapacity of the other party to contract. Upon the death of a lessee of real property for residential purposes, however, and at the option of any surviving lessee or of the estate of the decedent, the lease terminates on the last day of the month in the month following the death of the lessee unless the lease term expires before that time.
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 47-16-18
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute means the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Property: includes property, real and personal. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.