In this chapter, unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 51-34-01
- Person: means an individual, organization, government, political subdivision, or government agency or instrumentality. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
1. “Customer” means the person who subscribes to telephone service from a telephone company or in whose name such telephone service is listed and to whom the telephone record pertains.
2. “Procure” in regard to a telephone record means to obtain by any means, whether electronically, in writing, or in oral form, with or without consideration.
3. “Telephone” means any device used by a person for voice or other electronic communications, in connection with the services of a telephone company, whether such voice or other electronic communications are transmitted in analog, data, or any other form.
4. “Telephone company” means any person that provides commercial telephone services to a customer, regardless of the communications technology used to provide such service, including traditional wireline or cable telephone service; cellular, broadband PCS, or other wireless telephone service; microwave, satellite, or other terrestrial telephone service; and voice over internet telephone service.
5. “Telephone record” means information retained by a telephone company that relates to the telephone number dialed by the customer or other person using the customer’s telephone with such customer’s permission, the incoming number of a call directed to a customer or other person using the customer’s telephone with such customer’s permission, or other data related to such call typically contained on a customer’s telephone bill, including the times the call started and ended, the duration of the call, the time the call was made, and any charges applied. A telephone record does not include information collected and retained by a customer utilizing caller identification or similar technology or include a carrier network record.