(A) The department of education shall develop a system to rank order all city, exempted village, and local school districts, community schools established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code except those community schools to which section 3314.017 of the Revised Code applies, and STEM schools established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code according to the following measures:
Terms Used In Ohio Code 3302.21
- Another: when used to designate the owner of property which is the subject of an offense, includes not only natural persons but also every other owner of property. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Community school: means a community school established under Chapter 3314. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Performance index score: means the average of the totals derived from calculations, for each subject area, of the weighted proportion of untested students and students scoring at each level of skill described in division (A)(2) of section 3301. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
- STEM school: means a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics school established under Chapter 3326. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Value-added progress dimension: means a measure of academic gain for a student or group of students over a specific period of time that is calculated by applying a statistical methodology to individual student achievement data derived from the achievement assessments prescribed by section 3301. See Ohio Code 3302.01
(1) Performance index score for each school district, community school, and STEM school and for each separate building of a district, community school, or STEM school. For districts, schools, or buildings to which the performance index score does not apply, the superintendent of public instruction may develop another measure of student academic performance based on similar data and performance measures if appropriate and use that measure to include those buildings in the ranking so that districts, schools, and buildings may be reliably compared to each other.
(2) Student performance growth from year to year, using the value-added progress dimension, if applicable, and other measures of student performance growth designated by the superintendent of public instruction for subjects and grades not covered by the value-added progress dimension or the alternative student academic progress measure if adopted under division (C)(1)(e) of section 3302.03 of the Revised Code;
(3) Current operating expenditure per equivalent pupils as defined in section 3302.26 of the Revised Code;
(4) Of total current operating expenditures, percentage spent for classroom instruction as determined under standards adopted by the state board under section 3302.20 of the Revised Code;
(5) Performance of, and opportunities provided to, students identified as gifted using value-added progress dimensions, if applicable, and other relevant measures as designated by the superintendent of public instruction.
The department shall rank each district, each community school except a community school to which section 3314.017 of the Revised Code applies, and each STEM school annually in accordance with the system developed under this section.
(B) In addition to the reports required by sections 3302.03 and 3302.031 of the Revised Code, not later than the first day of September each year, the department shall issue a report for each city, exempted village, and local school district, each community school except a community school to which section 3314.017 of the Revised Code applies, and each STEM school indicating the district’s or school’s rank on each measure described in divisions (A)(1) to (4) of this section, including each separate building’s rank among all public school buildings according to performance index score under division (A)(1) of this section.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.184, HB 555, §1, eff. 3/22/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.128, SB 316, §101.01, eff. 9/24/2012.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2011.