(A) This section applies to both of the following:
Terms Used In Ohio Code 4731.222
- Graduate medical education: means education received through any of the following:
(1) An internship , residency, or clinical fellowship program conducted in the United States and accredited by either the accreditation council for graduate medical education of the American medical association or the American osteopathic association;
(2) A clinical fellowship program that is not accredited as described in division (C)(1) of this section, but is conducted in the United States at an institution with a residency program that is accredited as described in that division and is in a clinical field the same as or related to the clinical field of the fellowship program;
(3) An internship program conducted in Canada and accredited by the committee on accreditation of preregistration physician training programs of the federation of provincial medical licensing authorities of Canada;
(4) A residency program conducted in Canada and accredited by either the royal college of physicians and surgeons of Canada or the college of family physicians of Canada. See Ohio Code 4731.04
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
(1) An applicant seeking restoration of a license or certificate issued under this chapter that has been in a suspended or inactive state for any cause for more than two years;
(2) An applicant seeking issuance of a license or certificate pursuant to this chapter who for more than two years has not been engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, podiatric medicine and surgery, or a limited branch of medicine as any of the following:
(a) An active practitioner;
(b) A participant in a program of graduate medical education, as defined in section 4731.04 of the Revised Code;
(c) A participant in a podiatric internship, residency, or clinical fellowship program;
(d) A student in a college of podiatry determined by the state medical board to be in good standing;
(e) A student in a school, college, or institution giving instruction in a limited branch of medicine determined by the board to be in good standing under section 4731.16 of the Revised Code.
(B) Before issuing a license or certificate to an applicant subject to this section or restoring a license or certificate to good standing for an applicant subject to this section, the state medical board may impose terms and conditions including any one or more of the following:
(1) Requiring the applicant to pass an oral or written examination, or both, to determine the applicant’s present fitness to resume practice;
(2) Requiring the applicant to obtain additional training and to pass an examination upon completion of such training;
(3) Requiring an assessment of the applicant’s physical skills for purposes of determining whether the applicant’s coordination, fine motor skills, and dexterity are sufficient for performing medical evaluations and procedures in a manner that meets the minimal standards of care;
(4) Requiring an assessment of the applicant’s skills in recognizing and understanding diseases and conditions;
(5) Requiring the applicant to undergo a comprehensive physical examination, which may include an assessment of physical abilities, evaluation of sensory capabilities, or screening for the presence of neurological disorders;
(6) Restricting or limiting the extent, scope, or type of practice of the applicant.
The board shall consider the moral background and the activities of the applicant during the period of suspension or inactivity, in accordance with section 4731.09, 4731.19, or 4731.52 of the Revised Code. The board shall not issue or restore a license or certificate under this section unless the applicant complies with sections 4776.01 to 4776.04 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 133rd General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 166, §101.01, eff. 10/17/2019.
Amended by 132nd General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 111, §1, eff. 9/28/2018.
Amended by 132nd General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 49, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2017.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 64, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2015.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.120, HB 292, §1, eff. 9/6/2012.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 1/1/2012.
Effective Date: 04-10-2001; 2007 HB104 03-24-2008