(1) As used in this section:
Terms Used In Oregon Statutes 646A.801
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- State Treasury: includes those financial assets the lawful custody of which are vested in the State Treasurer and the office of the State Treasurer relating to the custody of those financial assets. See Oregon Statutes 174.100
(a) ‘Hospice program’ has the meaning given that term in ORS 443.850.
(b) ‘Personal representative’ has the meaning given that term in ORS 111.005.
(c) ‘Residential cable service’ means the transmission of any communication to a residential customer of the service for the purpose of delivering video content to the customer.
(d) ‘Residential telecommunications service’ means the transmission of any communication between a residential customer of the service and any other individual through the use of a communication system established and maintained by a radio common carrier or a telecommunications utility, both as defined in ORS 759.005.
(2) An individual in a hospice program, or the next of kin or personal representative of an individual who has died, may terminate, without penalty, a residential cable service or a residential telecommunications service provided pursuant to an existing contract.
(3) For purposes described in subsection (2) of this section, a provider of a residential cable service or a residential telecommunications service may require an individual in a hospice program or the next of kin or personal representative of an individual who has died to submit a document establishing that the individual is in a hospice program or has died.
(4) A termination of service under subsection (2) of this section is effective on the date on which the provider of the service first receives notice that the individual is in a hospice program or has died.
(5) The Oregon Health Authority may impose a civil penalty, not to exceed $1,000, for violation of this section. Civil penalties imposed under this section shall be imposed in the manner provided by ORS 183.745. All moneys recovered under this section shall be paid into the State Treasury and credited to the General Fund.
(6) The authority may adopt rules to carry out the provisions of this section. [2015 c.181 § 2; 2017 c.17 § 49]