(a) A landlord or any person authorized to enter into a rental agreement on his or her behalf shall disclose to the tenant in writing, at or before the commencement of the tenancy, the name, address and number of:
Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws 34-18-20. Disclosure
- foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- in writing: include printing, engraving, lithographing, and photo-lithographing, and all other representations of words in letters of the usual form. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-16
- mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- person: extends to and includes co-partnerships and bodies corporate and politic. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-6
- service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
(1) The person authorized to manage the premises; and
(2) An owner of the premises or a person authorized to act for and on behalf of the owner for the purpose of service of process and receiving and receipting for notices and demands.
(b) The information required to be furnished by this section shall be kept current. This section extends to and is enforceable against any successor landlord, owner, or manager.
(c) A person who fails to comply with subsection (a) of this section becomes an agent of each person who is a landlord for:
(1) Service of process and receiving and receipting for notices and demands; and
(2) Performing the obligations of the landlord under this chapter and under the rental agreement and expending or making available for the purpose of all rent collected from the premises.
(d) A landlord who becomes delinquent on a mortgage securing real estate upon which the dwelling unit is located for a period of one hundred twenty (120) days shall notify the tenant that the property may be subject to foreclosure; and until the foreclosure occurs the tenant must continue to pay rent to the landlord as provided under the rental agreement.
(P.L. 1986, ch. 200, § 2; P.L. 2014, ch. 486, § 1; P.L. 2014, ch. 513, § 1.)