Rhode Island General Laws > Chapter 11-49 – Credit Card Crime Act
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws > Chapter 11-49 - Credit Card Crime Act
- Cardholder: means the person or organization named on the face of a credit card to whom or for whose benefit the credit card is issued by an issuer. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-49-1
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Credit card: means any instrument or device, whether known as a credit card, credit plate, or by any other name, issued with or without fee by an issuer for the use of the card holder in obtaining money, goods, services, or anything else of value on credit. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-49-1
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- in writing: include printing, engraving, lithographing, and photo-lithographing, and all other representations of words in letters of the usual form. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-16
- Issuer: means the business organization or financial institution, or its duly authorized agent, which issues a credit card. See Rhode Island General Laws 11-49-1
- person: extends to and includes co-partnerships and bodies corporate and politic. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-6
- United States: include the several states and the territories of the United States. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-8