Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 16 > Chapter 13 > Article 1
- Accident and health insurance: means insurance of human beings against death or personal injury by accident, and each insurance of human beings against sickness, ailment, and any type of physical disability resulting from accident or disease, and prepaid dental service, but not including coverages required by the Workers' Compensation Law of this State. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Administrator: means the individual to whom the director has delegated authority to administer the programs of a specific board or of a professional or occupational group for which the department has regulatory authority or has delegated authority to administer the programs of a specific board;
(2) "Authorization to practice" or "Practice authorization" means the approval to practice the specified profession, engage in the specified occupation, or use a title protected under this article, which has been granted by the applicable board. See South Carolina Code 40-1-20
- Administrator: means the administrator of the Department of Consumer Affairs. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Administrator: means the State Treasurer, his agents, or representatives. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Admitted assets: means assets of an insurer considered admitted on the most recent statutory financial statement of the insurer filed with the department pursuant to Section 38-13-80. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Alarm business: means an entity that is licensed by the South Carolina Contractor's Licensing Board to engage in the burglar or fire alarm system business, or both. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Alarm technician: means an individual who specializes in any activity or work related to the set up or installation, repair, alteration, or connection of an alarm system to a client's property. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Apparent owner: means the person whose name appears on the records of the holder as the person entitled to property held, issued, or owing by the holder. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Applicant: means a business seeking to be licensed under this chapter or seeking the renewal of a license under this chapter. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Appointment: means an individual designated by an official or authorized representative of an authorized insurer to act on its behalf as a producer. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Assigned employee: means a person performing services for a client company as affected by a contract between a licensee and client company in which employment responsibilities are shared. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Attorney General: means the chief legal officer of this State. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Basic health insurance plan: means a lower cost health insurance plan developed pursuant to Section 38-71-1420. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Bid: means an offer to furnish labor, equipment or materials, or other services regulated by this chapter. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Board: means the State Board of Registration for Geologists. See South Carolina Code 40-77-20
- Board: means the South Carolina Contractor's Licensing Board. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Board: means the board of directors of the program established pursuant to Section 38-71-1410. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Burglar alarm system business: means a person, firm, association, partnership, corporation, or other legal entity authorized by law and approved by the board that designs, installs, services, maintains, or alters burglar alarm systems, including burglar alarm systems with an electric fence as defined herein, and heat and smoke sensors installed within a burglar alarm system; a burglar alarm system detects intrusion, burglary, and breaking or entering but does not include home health care signaling devices. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Business association: means a nonpublic corporation, joint stock company, investment company, business trust, partnership, or association for business purposes of two or more individuals, whether or not for profit, including a banking organization, financial organization, insurance company, or utility. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Certificate of insurance: means a memorandum copy, complete or abbreviated, of an insurance contract. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Claim: means a request from a pharmacy or pharmacist to be reimbursed for the cost of filling or refilling a prescription for a drug or for providing a medical supply or device. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2110
- Claim: means a request from a pharmacy or pharmacist to be reimbursed for the cost of administering, filling, or refilling a prescription for a drug or for providing a medical supply or device. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2200
- Claims processing services: means the administrative services performed in connection with the processing and adjudicating of claims relating to pharmacist services that include:
(a) receiving payments for pharmacist services;
(b) making payments to pharmacists or pharmacies for pharmacist services; or
(c) both receiving and making payments. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2200
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- Client company: means a person that contracts with a licensee and is assigned employees by the licensee under that contract. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Closed panel health plan: means a network plan that requires an insured or a member to seek covered health care services or supplies, except in the case of emergency, exclusively from network providers. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1720
- Coinsurance: means a stipulation or requirement that the insured undertakes to be his own insurer to the extent that he fails to maintain insurance of a given percentage of the value of the property against loss or damage. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Commission: means the part of the premium paid to the producer as compensation for his services. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Committee: means the advisory committee to the commissioner referred to in Section 38-71-1420. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contractor: means an entity licensed to engage in the burglar or fire alarm system business. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Controlling person: means :
(a) an officer or director of a corporation seeking to offer professional employer services, a shareholder holding ten percent or more of the voting stock of a corporation seeking to offer professional employer services, or a partner of a partnership seeking to offer professional employer services;
(b) an individual who possesses, directly or indirectly, the power to direct or cause the direction of the management or policies of a company seeking to offer professional employer services through the ownership of voting securities, by contract or otherwise, and who is actively involved in the day-to-day management of the company; or
(c) an individual employed, appointed, or authorized by a business seeking to offer professional employer services to enter into a contractual relationship with a client company on behalf of the business. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- cooperative: means a private purchasing cooperative composed of small employers formed under this article. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Customer service personnel: means an individual working for a licensed alarm entity who provides support for customer problems, complaints, questions, and concerns involving an alarm system. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the Department of Insurance of South Carolina. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Department: means the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation;
(5) "Director" means the Director of the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation or the director's official designee;
(6) "Licensee" means a person granted an authorization to practice pursuant to this article and refers to a person holding a license, permit, certification, or registration granted pursuant to this article;
(7) "Licensing act" means the individual statute or regulations, or both, of each regulated profession or occupation which include, but are not limited to, board governance, the qualifications and requirements for authorization to practice, prohibitions, and disciplinary procedures;
(8) "Person" means an individual, partnership, or corporation;
(9) "Profession" or "occupation" means a profession or occupation regulated or administered, or both, by the department pursuant to this article. See South Carolina Code 40-1-20
- Department: means the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Department: means the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Dependent: means a spouse, an unmarried child under the age of nineteen years, an unmarried child who is a full-time student between the ages of nineteen and twenty-two and who is financially dependent upon the parent, and an unmarried child of any age who is medically certified as disabled and dependent upon the parent. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Designee or deputy director: means the person or persons appointed by the director, serving at the will and pleasure of the director as his designee, to supervise and carry out the functions and duties of the department as provided by law. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Director: means the person who is appointed by the Governor upon the advice and consent of the Senate and who is responsible for the operation and management of the department. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Director: means the Director of the Department of Insurance of this State. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Domestic insurer: means an insurer incorporated or organized under the laws of this State. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Domicile: means the state of incorporation of a corporation and the state of the principal place of business of an unincorporated person. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Donee: The recipient of a gift.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Electric fence: means an electrified fence with a height not to exceed ten feet or two feet higher than the perimeter fence, whichever is higher, that is equipped with an energizer, driven by a commercial storage battery that does not exceed twelve volts DC. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Eligible employee: means an employee:
(a) as defined in Section 38-71-710(1) or Section 38-71-840(7) who works on a full-time basis and has a normal workweek of thirty or more hours; or
(b) who is a licensed real estate person engaged in the sale, leasing, or rental of real estate for a licensed real estate broker on a straight commission basis, who has signed a valid independent contractor agreement with the broker who works on a full-time basis and has a normal workweek of thirty or more hours. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Emergency medical care: means those health care services provided in a hospital emergency facility to evaluate and treat an emergency medical condition. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1520
- Emergency medical condition: means a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity, including severe pain, such that a prudent layperson who possesses an average knowledge of health and medicine could reasonably expect the absence of immediate medical attention to result in:
(a) placing the health of the individual, or with respect to a pregnant woman, the health of the woman or her unborn child, in serious jeopardy;
(b) serious impairment to bodily functions; or
(c) serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1520
- Employees: as used in this article includes, for the purposes of insurance hereunder, as employees of a single employer, the officers, managers, and employees of the employer and of subsidiary or affiliated corporations of a corporate employer and the individual proprietors, partners, and employees of individuals and firms the business of which is controlled by the insured employer through stock ownership, contract, or otherwise. See South Carolina Code 38-71-710
- Employer: as used in this article may include any municipal corporation or the proper officers, as such, of any unincorporated municipality or any department of the municipal corporation or unincorporated municipality determined by conditions pertaining to the employment. See South Carolina Code 38-71-710
- Entire work force: means all persons engaged by a client company and are employees as defined in Title 42 including persons considered employees under Sections 42-1-400, 42-1-410, and 42-1-420. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Entity: means a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, cooperative, corporation, or other legal entity authorized by law and approved by the board. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escheat: Reversion of real or personal property to the state when 1) a person dies without leaving a will and has no heirs, or 2) when the property (such as a bank account) has been inactive for a certain period of time. Source: OCC
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fire alarm system business: means an individual, firm, association, partnership, corporation, or other legal entity authorized by law and approved by the board that designs, installs, services, maintains, or alters fire alarm systems. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreign insurer: means an insurer incorporated or organized under the laws of the United States or of any jurisdiction within the United States other than this State. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC
- Geologist: means a person with special knowledge of the science of geology, hydrology, geophysics, and related earth sciences and principles and methods of geological analysis acquired by professional education and practical experience. See South Carolina Code 40-77-20
- Geologist-in-training: means a person who possesses the qualifications prescribed in Section 40-77-230 and who has been certified as a geologist-in-training. See South Carolina Code 40-77-20
- Geology: means the science dealing with the earth and its history; investigation, prediction, and location of the materials and structures which compose it; the natural processes that cause change in the earth; and the applied science of utilizing knowledge of the earth and its constituent rocks, minerals, liquids, gases, and other materials for the benefit of mankind. See South Carolina Code 40-77-20
- Germane: On the subject of the pending bill or other business; a strict standard of relevance.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- group health insurance policy: is a policy or contract which insures against disablement, disease, or sickness of the insured, excluding disablement which results from accident or from accidental means, which covers more than one person, except blanket health policies, family health policies, franchise health policies, and accident and health policies. See South Carolina Code 38-71-710
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Health benefit plan: means any individual, blanket, or group plan, policy, or contract for health care services issued or delivered by a health care insurer in this State as defined in Section 38-71-670(6) and 38-71-840(14), including the state health plan as defined in Section 1-11-710. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2200
- Health insurance coverage: means coverage as defined in Section 38-71-840(14). See South Carolina Code 38-71-1720
- Holder: means a person, wherever organized or domiciled, who is:
(a) in possession of property belonging to another;
(b) a trustee; or
(c) indebted to another on an obligation. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Individual: means a natural person. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Installs: means activity or work which involves the set-up, installation, or connection of alarm system equipment in any manner to a client's property. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- insurance: includes annuities. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Insurance company: means an "insurer". See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Insurance company: means an association, corporation, fraternal or mutual benefit organization, whether or not for profit, which is engaged in providing insurance coverage, including accident, burial, casualty, credit life, contract performance, dental, fidelity, fire, health, hospitalization, illness, life (including endowments and annuities), malpractice, marine, mortgage, surety, and wage protection insurance. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- insured: as used in this article may not be construed as preventing a person other than the insured, with a proper insurable interest, from making application for and owning a policy covering the insured or from being entitled under such a policy to any indemnities, benefits, and rights provided therein. See South Carolina Code 38-71-640
- Insurer: includes a corporation, fraternal organization, burial association, other association, partnership, society, order, individual, or aggregation of individuals engaging or proposing or attempting to engage as principals in any kind of insurance or surety business, including the exchanging of reciprocal or interinsurance contracts between individuals, partnerships, and corporations. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Insurer: means an entity that provides health insurance in this State. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Insurer: means an entity that provides health insurance coverage in this State as defined in Section 38-71-670(7) and Section 38-71-840(16). See South Carolina Code 38-71-2110
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Last known address: means a description of the location of the apparent owner sufficient for the purpose of the delivery of mail. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- License: means a document issued by the state's director or his designee authorizing a person to act as an insurance producer for the lines of authority specified in the document. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Licensee: means a person licensed under this chapter as a professional employer organization to provide professional employer services. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Licensee: means an alarm business that has been issued a license by the board pursuant to this chapter. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Life insurance: means a contract of insurance upon the lives of human beings. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- List: means the list of drugs for which a pharmacy benefit manager has established a maximum allowable cost. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2110
- Managed care organization: means a licensed insurance company, a hospital or medical services plan contract, a health maintenance organization, or any other entity which is subject to regulation by the department and which operates a managed care plan. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1520
- Managed care plan: means a plan operated by a managed care organization which provides for the financing and delivery of health care and treatment services to individuals enrolled in the plan through its own employed health care providers or contracting with selected specific providers that conform to explicit selection standards, or both. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1520
- Maximum allowable cost: means the maximum amount that a pharmacy benefit manager will reimburse a pharmacist or pharmacy for the cost of a generic drug. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2110
- Maximum Allowable Cost List: means a listing of generic drugs used by a pharmacy benefits manager to set the maximum allowable cost at which reimbursement to a pharmacy or pharmacist may be made. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2200
- Medical care: means amounts paid for:
(a) the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease or amounts paid for the purpose of affecting a structure or function of the body;
(b) amounts paid for transportation primarily for and essential to medical care referred to in subitem (a); and
(c) amounts paid for insurance covering medical care referred to in subitems (a) and (b). See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Monitoring personnel: means an individual who performs daily office functions, observing the operation and activation of alarm systems from a monitoring station. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Negotiate: means the act of conferring directly with or offering advice directly to a purchaser or prospective purchaser of a particular contract of insurance concerning substantive benefits, terms, or conditions of the contract, provided that the person engaged in that act either sells insurance or obtains insurance from insurers for purchasers. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Network plan: means a health insurance plan issued by an insurer under which the financing and delivery of medical care, including items and services paid for as medical care, are provided, in whole or in part, through a defined set of providers under contract with the insurer. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Network plan: means a plan as defined in Section 38-71-840(24). See South Carolina Code 38-71-1720
- Network providers: means those entities and individuals who provide covered health care services or supplies to an insured or a member pursuant to a contract with a network plan to act as a participating provider. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1720
- Network providers: means those pharmacists and pharmacies who provide covered health care services or supplies to an insured or a member pursuant to a contract with a network plan to act as a participating provider. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2110
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Other prescription drug or device services: means services other than claims processing services, provided directly or indirectly by a pharmacy benefits manager, whether in connection with or separate from claims processing services, including without limitation:
(a) negotiating rebates, discounts, or other financial incentives and arrangements with drug companies;
(b) disbursing or distributing rebates;
(c) managing or participating in incentive programs or arrangements for pharmacist services;
(d) negotiating or entering into contractual arrangements with pharmacists or pharmacies, or both;
(e) developing formularies;
(f) designing prescription benefit programs; or
(g) advertising or promoting services. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2200
- Owner: means a depositor in the case of a deposit, a beneficiary in case of a trust other than a deposit in trust, a creditor, claimant, or payee in the case of other intangible property, or a person having a legal or equitable interest in property subject to this chapter or his legal representative. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means an individual, association, corporation, partnership, or other private legal entity. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Person: means a corporation, agency, partnership, association, voluntary organization, individual, or another entity, organization, or aggregation of individuals. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Person: means an individual, business association, state or other government, governmental subdivision or agency, public corporation, public authority, estate, trust, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, or any other legal or commercial entity. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Pharmacist services: means products, goods, and services, or any combination of products, goods, and services, provided as a part of the practice of pharmacy. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2200
- Pharmacy benefit manager: means an entity that contracts with pharmacists or pharmacies on behalf of an insurer, third party administrator, or the South Carolina Public Employee Benefit Authority to:
(a) process claims for prescription drugs or medical supplies or provide retail network management for pharmacies or pharmacists;
(b) pay pharmacies or pharmacists for prescription drugs or medical supplies; or
(c) negotiate rebates with manufacturers for drugs paid for or procured as described in this section. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2110
- Pharmacy benefits manager: means an entity that contracts with pharmacists or pharmacies on behalf of an insurer, third party administrator, or the South Carolina Public Employee Benefit Authority to:
(a) process claims for prescription drugs or medical supplies or provide retail network management for pharmacies or pharmacists;
(b) pay pharmacies or pharmacists for prescription drugs or medical supplies; or
(c) negotiate rebates with manufacturers for drugs paid for or procured as described in this article. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2200
- Pharmacy benefits manager affiliate: means a pharmacy or pharmacist that directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, owns or controls, is owned or controlled by, or is under common ownership or control with a pharmacy benefits manager. See South Carolina Code 38-71-2200
- plan: means any hospital or medical policy or certificate, major medical expense insurance, hospital or medical service plan contract, or health maintenance organization subscriber contract that provides benefits consisting of medical care provided directly through insurance or reimbursement, or otherwise and including items and services paid for medical care. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Plan of operation: means the plan of operation of the program established pursuant to Section 38-71-1410. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Point-of-service option: means a network plan that provides benefits for services or supplies provided by network providers and provides benefits for services or supplies provided by nonparticipating network providers. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1720
- Policy: means a contract of insurance. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Premium: means payment given in consideration of a contract of insurance. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Primary qualifying party: means a qualifying party who is an owner, partner, or officer of a burglar alarm system business, or a full-time employee holding a managerial or supervisory position within the alarm system business and who qualifies the licensee to engage in the burglar or fire alarm business and is registered as a qualifying party with the department in accordance with this chapter. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Professional employer organization: means an individual business entity that offers professional employer services. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Professional employer organization group: means a combination of professional employer services companies that operates under a group license issued under Section 40-68-80. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Professional employer services: means an arrangement by which employees of a licensee are assigned to work at a client company and in which employment responsibilities are shared by the licensee and the client company. See South Carolina Code 40-68-10
- Professional society: as used in this chapter includes legal, medical, osteopathic, optometric, chiropractic, psychological, dental, accounting, pharmaceutic, and engineering organizations having as members at least a majority of the eligible licentiates in the area served by the particular society and any foundations composed of members of these societies. See South Carolina Code 40-71-10
- Program: means the South Carolina Small Employer Insurer Reinsurance Program pursuant to Section 38-71-1410. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Public practice of geology: means the performance of geological service or work in the nature of consultation, investigation, surveys, evaluations, planning, mapping, and inspection of geologic work required for or supporting compliance with municipal, county, State of South Carolina, or federal regulations. See South Carolina Code 40-77-20
- Qualifying party: means an individual, owner, partner, officer, or employee of an alarm system business who has met the necessary requirements of a qualifying party and is registered with the department in accordance with this chapter. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Registered: means an owner, partner, principle officer, qualifying party, or registered employee of an alarm business whose name and address has been listed or registered with the department as an individual who has access to a client's property or burglar alarm records that can reveal, but not be limited to, the type of burglar alarm system, burglar alarm security numbers or code, or any other information pertaining to the system that could compromise the client's burglar alarm system. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Registered employee: means an individual of an alarm system business who has not met the requirements of a qualifying party and is employed more than thirty days in any given calendar year and is registered with the department in accordance with this chapter. See South Carolina Code 40-79-20
- Registered professional geologist: means a person registered as a professional geologist by the board pursuant to Section 40-77-230. See South Carolina Code 40-77-20
- Reinsuring insurer: means a small employer insurer participating in the reinsurance program pursuant to Section 38-71-1410. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Risk-assuming insurer: means a small employer insurer whose application is approved by the commissioner pursuant to Section 38-71-1390. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Sell: means to exchange a contract of insurance by any means, for money or its equivalent, on behalf of an insurance company. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Small employer: means , in connection with a health insurance plan with respect to a calendar year and a plan year, any person, firm, corporation, partnership, association, or employer, as defined in Section 3(5) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, that is actively engaged in business that, on at least fifty percent of its working days during the preceding calendar year, employed no more than fifty eligible employees or employed an average of not more than fifty employees on business days during the preceding calendar year and who employs at least one employee on the first day of the plan year. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Small employer insurer: means an insurer that offers health insurance plans covering eligible employees of one or more small employers in this State. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- Standard health insurance plan: means a health insurance plan developed pursuant to Section 38-71-1420. See South Carolina Code 38-71-1330
- State: means any state, district, commonwealth, territory, insular possession, or any other area subject to the legislative authority of the United States. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held.
- Terminate: means the cancellation of the relationship between an insurance producer and the insurer or the termination of a producer's authority to transact insurance. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Uphold: The decision of an appellate court not to reverse a lower court decision.
- Utility: means a person who owns or operates for public use any plant, equipment, property, franchise, or license for the transmission of communications or the production, storage, transmission, sale, delivery, or furnishing of electricity, water, steam, or gas. See South Carolina Code 27-18-20
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.