Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws 34-44-9
- Asbestos contractor: any person that undertakes an asbestos project, including inspections for asbestos-containing materials, prepares an asbestos management plan, or designs or carries out an asbestos abatement project. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-44-1
- Day: the period from midnight to midnight. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: includes natural persons, partnerships, associations, cooperative corporations, limited liability companies, and corporations. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Worker: an employee or agent of an asbestos contractor or facility owner or operator who has minimal awareness training. See South Dakota Codified Laws 34-44-1
Any facility owner or operator whose own employees renovate or demolish a facility may allow the employees to work on asbestos abatement projects only if the employees are under the direction of an asbestos contractor who complies with the training and certification requirements established under § 34-44-10 and the employees comply with the worker requirements of §§ 34-44-13 and 34-44-14. A violation of this section is a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any person who violates this section is also subject to a civil penalty not to exceed one thousand dollars per day of violation.