Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 39 > Chapter 16 > Part 5
- Benefit: means anything reasonably regarded as economic gain, enhancement or advantage, including benefit to any other person in whose welfare the beneficiary is interested. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Bodily injury: includes a cut, abrasion, bruise, burn or disfigurement, and physical pain or temporary illness or impairment of the function of a bodily member, organ, or mental faculty. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Coercion: means a threat, however communicated, to:
(A) Commit any offense. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: means a person accused of an offense under this title and includes any person who aids or abets the commission of such offense. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Electric cooperative: means an electric cooperative or electric membership corporation, whether organized or operating under chapter 25 of this title or similar statutes of any other state, which, as of June 19, 1997, distributes electric power purchased from the Tennessee Valley authority. See Tennessee Code 65-36-102
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Government: means the state or any political subdivision of the state, and includes any branch or agency of the state, a county, municipality or other political subdivision. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Governmental record: means anything:
(A) Belonging to, received or kept by the government for information. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Harm: means anything reasonably regarded as loss, disadvantage or injury, including harm to another person in whose welfare the person affected is interested. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Juror: A person who is on the jury.
- Knowing: means that a person acts knowingly with respect to the conduct or to circumstances surrounding the conduct when the person is aware of the nature of the conduct or that the circumstances exist. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Law enforcement officer: means an officer, employee or agent of government who has a duty imposed by law to:
(A) Maintain public order. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- municipal electric utility: means any governmental entity as defined in §. See Tennessee Code 65-36-102
- Obtain: includes , but is not limited to, the taking, carrying away or the sale, conveyance or transfer of title to or interest in or possession of property, and includes, but is not limited to, conduct known as larceny, larceny by trick, larceny by conversion, embezzlement, extortion or obtaining property by false pretenses. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Official proceeding: means any type of administrative, executive, legislative or judicial proceeding that may be conducted before a public servant authorized by law to take statements under oath. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Owner: means the owner of any property, any part owner, joint owner, tenant in common, joint tenant or tenant by the entirety of the whole or a part of any structure which is capable of receiving service by a utility. See Tennessee Code 65-35-101
- Person: includes the singular and the plural and means and includes any individual, firm, partnership, copartnership, association, corporation, governmental subdivision or agency, or other organization or other legal entity, or any agent or servant thereof. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Person: means an individual, corporation, firm, company, partnership, association or organization of any kind, public or private. See Tennessee Code 65-35-101
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in a perceivable form. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Serious bodily injury: means bodily injury that involves:
(A) A substantial risk of death. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Statement: means any representation of fact. See Tennessee Code 39-16-501
- Tenant or occupant: means any person who occupies the whole or a part of any building, whether alone or with others, and includes the owner. See Tennessee Code 65-35-101
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Utility: means any person, municipality, county, cooperative, board, commission, district or any entity created or authorized by public act, private act or general law to provide electricity, natural gas, water, sanitary sewer service, telephone service, or any combination thereof, for sale to consumers in any particular service area, whether or not regulated by the Tennessee public utility commission. See Tennessee Code 65-35-101
- Utility customer: means :
(A) The person or persons listed on the records of the utility as the customer liable for charges or payment for the utility service. See Tennessee Code 65-35-101
- written: includes printing, typewriting, engraving, lithography, and any other mode of representing words and letters. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105