(a) In this chapter:
(1) “Depositor” means a person who:
(A) delivers grain to a public grain warehouse for storing of the grain for hire, handling of the grain for hire, or shipping of the grain for hire;
(B) is the owner or legal holder of an outstanding receipt for grain stored in the public grain warehouse issuing the receipt; or
(C) is lawfully entitled to possession of grain stored in a public grain warehouse.
(2) “Grain” means wheat, grain sorghum, corn, oats, barley, rye, soybeans, or any other grain, peas, or beans for which federal grain standards are established.
(3) “Open storage grain” means grain that:
(A) is received for storage by a public grain warehouse located in this state;
(B) is not covered by a negotiable warehouse receipt; and
(C) is not owned by the lessee, owner, or operator of the warehouse in which it is stored.
(4) “Public grain warehouse” means a building, bin, or similar structure located in this state and used for:
(A) the storing of grain for hire, shipping of grain for hire, or handling of grain for hire; or
(B) the purchasing and selling of grain, including grain on which payment is deferred.
(5) “Receipt” means a negotiable Texas grain warehouse receipt issued by a warehouse operator licensed under this chapter.
(6) “License” includes a renewal of or an amendment to a license.
(7) “Scale weight ticket” means a load slip other than a receipt given to a depositor or other person by a warehouse operator licensed under this chapter on:
(A) initial delivery of the grain to the warehouse; or
(B) weighing of the grain on the grain warehouse operator’s scale, regardless of the destination of the grain.
(8) “Receipted grain” means grain that is stored in a public grain warehouse and for which a Texas grain warehouse receipt has been issued and has not been canceled.
(9) “Warehouse operator” means a person engaged in the business of operating a public grain warehouse.
(b) For purposes of this chapter, the term “public grain warehouse” as defined by Subsection (a)(4) does not include railcars, trucks, boats, or other vehicles when used to transport grain.
Terms Used In Texas Agriculture Code 14.001
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture. See Texas Agriculture Code 1.003
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
(c) For purposes of this chapter, in those sections that require the warehouse operator to cooperate with or provide information to the department or issue documents or deliver grain to customers of the warehouse operator and in those sections that require notice to be provided to the warehouse operator by the department, the term “warehouse operator” includes all employees, agents, or other persons authorized by the warehouse operator to issue receipts or scale weight tickets or sign contracts or other agreements.