Terms Used In Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code 108.001
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
In this chapter:
(1) “Public servant” means a person who is:
(A) a public official elected or appointed to serve a governmental unit and acting in that capacity when the act or omission on which the damages were based occurred; or
(B) covered by Section 104.001 or Section 102.001.
(2) “Public servant” does not include an independent contractor, an agent or employee of an independent contractor, or another person who performs a contract for a unit of government.
(3) “Public servant” includes a licensed physician who provides emergency or postemergency stabilization services to patients in a hospital owned or operated by a unit of local government.