Texas Government Code 312.011 – Definitions
Terms Used In Texas Government Code 312.011
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Comptroller: means the state comptroller of public accounts. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Effects: includes all personal property and all interest in that property. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, or figures, whether by writing, printing, or other means. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- Justice: when applied to a magistrate, means justice of the peace. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- Month: means a calendar month. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Population: means the population shown by the most recent federal decennial census. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Property: means real and personal property. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Signed: includes any symbol executed or adopted by a person with present intention to authenticate a writing. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- sworn: includes affirm or affirmed. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- United States: includes a department, bureau, or other agency of the United States of America. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Year: means 12 consecutive months. See Texas Government Code 311.005
The following definitions apply unless a different meaning is apparent from the context of the statute in which the word appears:
(1) “Affidavit” means a statement in writing of a fact or facts signed by the party making it, sworn to before an officer authorized to administer oaths, and officially certified to by the officer under his seal of office.
(2) “Comptroller” means the state comptroller of public accounts.
(3) “Effects” includes all personal property and all interest in that property.
(4) “Governing body,” if used with reference to a municipality, means the legislative body of a city, town, or village, without regard to the name or title given to any particular body.
(5) “Justice,” when applied to a magistrate, means justice of the peace.
(6) “Land commissioner” means the Commissioner of the General Land Office.
(7) “Month” means a calendar month.
(8) “Oath” includes affirmation.
(9) “Official oath” means the oath required by Article XVI, Section 1, of the Texas Constitution.
(10) “Person” includes a corporation.
(11) “Preceding,” when referring to a title, chapter, or article, means that which came immediately before.
(12) “Preceding federal census” or “most recent federal census” means the United States decennial census immediately preceding the action in question.
(13) “Property” includes real property, personal property, life insurance policies, and the effects of life insurance policies.
(14) “Signature” includes the mark of a person unable to write, and “subscribe” includes the making of such a mark.
(15) “Succeeding” means immediately following.
(16) “Swear” or “sworn” includes affirm or affirmed.
(17) “Written” or “in writing” includes any representation of words, letters, or figures, whether by writing, printing, or other means.
(18) “Year” means a calendar year.
(19) “Includes” and “including” are terms of enlargement and not of limitation or exclusive enumeration, and use of the terms does not create a presumption that components not expressed are excluded.
(20) “Population” means the population shown by the most recent federal decennial census.