Terms Used In Texas Government Code 312.011
- Oath: includes affirmation. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Population: means the population shown by the most recent federal decennial census. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Property: means real and personal property. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Signed: includes any symbol executed or adopted by a person with present intention to authenticate a writing. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Swear: includes affirm. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- United States: includes a department, bureau, or other agency of the United States of America. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Written: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Year: means 12 consecutive months. See Texas Government Code 311.005
The following definitions apply unless a different meaning is apparent from the context of the statute in which the word appears:
(1) “Affidavit” means a statement in writing of a fact or facts signed by the party making it, sworn to before an officer authorized to administer oaths, and officially certified to by the officer under his seal of office.
(2) “Comptroller” means the state comptroller of public accounts.
(3) “Effects” includes all personal property and all interest in that property.
(4) “Governing body,” if used with reference to a municipality, means the legislative body of a city, town, or village, without regard to the name or title given to any particular body.
(5) “Justice,” when applied to a magistrate, means justice of the peace.
(6) “Land commissioner” means the Commissioner of the General Land Office.
(7) “Month” means a calendar month.
(8) “Oath” includes affirmation.
(9) “Official oath” means the oath required by Article XVI, Section 1, of the Texas Constitution.
(10) “Person” includes a corporation.
(11) “Preceding,” when referring to a title, chapter, or article, means that which came immediately before.
(12) “Preceding federal census” or “most recent federal census” means the United States decennial census immediately preceding the action in question.
(13) “Property” includes real property, personal property, life insurance policies, and the effects of life insurance policies.
(14) “Signature” includes the mark of a person unable to write, and “subscribe” includes the making of such a mark.
(15) “Succeeding” means immediately following.
(16) “Swear” or “sworn” includes affirm or affirmed.
(17) “Written” or “in writing” includes any representation of words, letters, or figures, whether by writing, printing, or other means.
(18) “Year” means a calendar year.
(19) “Includes” and “including” are terms of enlargement and not of limitation or exclusive enumeration, and use of the terms does not create a presumption that components not expressed are excluded.
(20) “Population” means the population shown by the most recent federal decennial census.