(a) Not later than the 30th day after the date the term of office of a new county chair begins, the person formerly serving as the county chair shall transfer to the new county chair:
(1) local party bank accounts over which the former county chair has authority; and
(2) the following original records that are in the possession of the former county chair:
(A) precinct chair and county chair canvass results;
(B) candidate applications;
(C) paperwork related to the primary election; and
(D) other documents concerning party affairs.
(b) Before transferring records to a new county chair under Subsection (a), the person formerly serving as the county chair may make copies of those records.
Terms Used In Texas Election Code 171.028
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Primary election: means an election held by a political party under Chapter Texas Election Code 1.005
(c) A person commits an offense if the person fails to transfer records as required by Subsection (a).
(d) An offense under Subsection (c) is a Class C misdemeanor.