(a) In addition to the notice required under Section 26.06, the governing body of a taxing unit required to hold a public hearing by Section 26.05(d) shall give notice of the hearing in the manner provided by this section.
(b) If the taxing unit owns, operates, or controls an Internet website, the unit shall post notice of the public hearing on the website continuously for at least seven days immediately before the public hearing on the proposed tax rate increase and at least seven days immediately before the date of the vote proposing the increase in the tax rate.
Terms Used In Texas Tax Code 26.065
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Property: means any matter or thing capable of private ownership. See Texas Tax Code 1.04
- Taxing unit: means a county, an incorporated city or town (including a home-rule city), a school district, a special district or authority (including a junior college district, a hospital district, a district created by or pursuant to the Water Code, a mosquito control district, a fire prevention district, or a noxious weed control district), or any other political unit of this state, whether created by or pursuant to the constitution or a local, special, or general law, that is authorized to impose and is imposing ad valorem taxes on property even if the governing body of another political unit determines the tax rate for the unit or otherwise governs its affairs. See Texas Tax Code 1.04
(c) If the taxing unit has free access to a television channel, the taxing unit shall request that the station carry a 60-second notice of the public hearing at least five times a day between the hours of 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. for at least seven days immediately before the public hearing on the proposed tax rate increase and at least seven days immediately before the date of the vote proposing the increase in the tax rate.
(d) The notice of the public hearing required by Subsection (b) must contain a statement that is substantially the same as the statement required by Section 26.06(b).
(e) This section does not apply to a taxing unit if the taxing unit:
(1) is unable to comply with the requirements of this section because of the failure of an electronic or mechanical device, including a computer or server; or
(2) is unable to comply with the requirements of this section due to other circumstances beyond its control.
(f) A person who owns taxable property is not entitled to an injunction restraining the collection of taxes by a taxing unit in which the property is taxable if the taxing unit has, in good faith, attempted to comply with the requirements of this section.