Texas Transportation Code Chapter 52 – Texas Deepwater Port Procedures Act
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Texas Transportation Code Chapter 52 - Texas Deepwater Port Procedures Act
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- United States: includes a department, bureau, or other agency of the United States of America. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Week: means seven consecutive days. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Year: means 12 consecutive months. See Texas Government Code 311.005