|§ 2.02||Articles of incorporation|
|§ 2.04||Liability for preincorporation transactions|
|§ 2.05||Organization of corporation|
Terms Used In Vermont Statutes > Title 11A > Chapter 2
- Articles of incorporation: include amended and restated articles of incorporation, articles of merger, and special charters. See
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Fees: shall mean earnings due for official services, aside from salaries or per diem compensation. See
- Interrogatories: Written questions asked by one party of an opposing party, who must answer them in writing under oath; a discovery device in a lawsuit.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Meeting: means any structured communications conducted by participants in person or through the use of electronic or telecommunications medium permitting simultaneous or sequentially structured communications for the purpose of reaching a collective agreement. See
- Oath: shall include affirmation where by law an affirmation may be substituted. See
- Person: shall include any natural person, corporation, municipality, the State of Vermont or any department, agency, or subdivision of the State, and any partnership, unincorporated association, or other legal entity. See
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Proceeding: includes civil suit and criminal, administrative, and investigatory action. See
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Secretary: means the corporate officer to whom the board of directors has delegated responsibility under subsection 8. See
- Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or upon presentation for registration are entitled to be registered in the records of a corporation. See
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States may apply to the District of Columbia and any territory and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- sworn: shall include affirmed. See
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.